Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chashing the wrong family.
Ancestrally Challenged Forum > Research Queries, Info & Stories > West
JamesRussell
It was a Saturday. We were visiting my son's Grandaunt. She is the daughter of Anne Z. With my son and my wife was my dear Mother-In-Law. We stood there talking and out of boredom I looked at the pictures on the small table next to me. One picture stood out it contained my son's 1 st cousin once removed, his Grandaunt, his Great Grandmother (Anne Z. Shepherd) and his 2 Great Grandmother. As I read the inscription on the photo my mind refused to believe what I saw. Anne Z. Shepherd ... What??? I thought it was Shephard!!!

I immediatly looked at my dear M-I-L and said, " You told me Shephard". The Grandaunt said, "It can be spelled either way." My M-I-L smiled and said, "No, dear I said Shepherd." I know she didn't, I wouldn't be chasing the wrong family for 8 months if I knew it was the wrong spelling.

So. I tried looking at Hertiage Quest Online but I can't find Anne or her sister. I think it's because HQ only indexes the head of the family and not each individual. So, if I could have some help I really would appreciate it. What I know.....

SHEPHERD, Barbara married unknown Friberg
b. 1 Jun 1888 - Canada
d. 28 Apr 1973 - California

SHEPHERD, Anne Z. married Carl L. Donaldson
b. 3 May 1895 - Utah
d. 29 Dec 1967 - Washington

SHEPHERD, Lewellen (or something like that)
b. unknown
d. unknown

What I need is a census pic of the three sisters and the Mother and Father. That would give me their names. I know that Anne came up to Washington around 1907. I can't find her in any census before 1920 and by that time she was married to Carl L. Donaldson

Thank you for any consideration.
JamesRussell
Shanifaye
you are keeping in mind that just because one person spells it one way DOESNT mean the census taker did right OR that the transcriber spelled it right? you need to be looking for shepherd spelled every single way you can think of.

For example.....Byers is one name that I research, I have found it ias

Byers
Byars
Byard
Beyrs
Bayrs
Biars
Biard
JamesRussell
QUOTE(Shanifaye @ Jan 15 2008, 04:31 AM) *
you are keeping in mind that just because one person spells it one way DOESNT mean the census taker did right OR that the transcriber spelled it right? you need to be looking for shepherd spelled every single way you can think of.

Byers
Byars
Byard
Beyrs
Bayrs
Biars
Biard

Yes, I know about different spellings. When I was looking for Anne and her parents I got a hold of a Shepherd family in Utah, Anne's birtthplace. They had a daughter about the age of Anne and I really didn't notice the different spelling. I followed that family back to Denmark about the 1640's. The main cemetery in Salt Lake City if full of Shepherd's.

But I still can't any trace of Anne, Barbara, their other sister or the parents.
Jim
JamesRussell
Hello,
If anyone was considering lending a hand, you don't need to. It seems that a couple of nice ladies on Rootsweb List have found them.

JamesRussell
Shanifaye
well why dont you post what they found here in case some else in the future may be looking for the same thing smile.gif
Steph
Yes, please tell what and where you found your "people". Shani and I have been scouring various sites trying to help out. ANd a big thank you to the rootsweb women who were able to succeed

Steph
JamesRussell
QUOTE(Steph @ Jan 25 2008, 03:32 PM) *
Yes, please tell what and where you found your "people". Shani and I have been scouring various sites trying to help out. ANd a big thank you to the rootsweb women who were able to succeed

Steph

The key piece of information that some got ahold of was that Barbara was born in Canada. Both ladies, independent of each other, found the Shepherd family in the 1901 Canada Census in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I was sent a copy of the Census page but it is real hard to read. I am not sure if the Father's name is Wm or Sam. They said the Census has him as Wm but one of the ladies said they have him as Sam on Immigration papers.

JamesRussell
Shanifaye
well according to that page at least you know now there were five kids and that their mothers name was Barbara AND you have all their actual birthdays
Stella Gadd
QUOTE(Shanifaye @ Jan 15 2008, 07:31 AM) *

Byers
Byars
Byard
Beyrs
Bayrs
Biars
Biard

Trying again....

"Biars" is one of my mystery families. (Googling led me to this site.) I can only go back to great-grandparents in Gallia County, Ohio. Much of what I know is on the Smith/Biars page of my genealogy site: http://wva.homestead.com/index.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2022 Invision Power Services, Inc.