> Memorial/dedication service help needed
Shanifaye
post Apr 28 2008, 06:44 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

I have had a project in the works for a few years now....it was my goal to find out where my husbands 3rd great grandfather was buried so that I could see if he had a grave marker that notated his service during the War between the States, it took me almost 2 years to find where he was buried and he had no stone at all. I gathered all the necessary paperwork and ordered the free stone from the VA and it is back now and awaiting the monument company to install it for me.

This means I can start planning the memorial service and I'd really like to hear from people that have done this kind of thing before. I have a few ideas in my head and I have 5 months to get it planned (the service is set for September) but I REALLY want this to be something special....so if any of you out there have ever done this, or know someone that has planned one, I would really like to hear from you on what you did and how you went about it.

He didnt die in the war...he served almost the entire war and was at the surrender in 1865. He died in 1923.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shawn
post Apr 28 2008, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Surnames:
Johnson, Stowell, Wagener, Calvin, Burgess, Sweet, Livingstone, Porter, Butterfield, Root, Lewis, Bagwell, Waters, Lattin, Bourbon, Boisdore dit Bourbon, Horner, Hotchkiss, Hickernell, Stull, Mitchell, Bayless, Lucas, Lake, Fancher, Haggard, Randolph, Lindsey, etc.

That sounds pretty cool! cool.gif

+Quote Post
donnac91
post Apr 28 2008, 02:19 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Aspengren, Baker, Beauchler, Barnett, Barton, Bottomley, Ferguson, Harris, Hartman, Hornish, Houglan, Johnson, Kempton, Leach, Lindmark, Myers, McGuire, Powers, Scott, Shelton, Suibb,

That sounds real cool. The only person I know that has gotten grave stones for a civil War Vet didn't have any ceramony, and installed the tombstone/marker themselves with permission. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

+Quote Post
margaretann
post Apr 28 2008, 06:10 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Surnames:
James; Tull; Woods, McIntire; McIntyre; Cox, Day; Johnson; Rogers; Morton; Huggins;Cooper; Ruff; Cooksey; Randolph; Poe, Brown; McMillian; Taylor; Myers; Neff; Pennywitt; Will; Sherman; Scherman...; Longernecker; Harpine; Coffman; Kauffman...; Horn; Stiles; Styles; Riddle; Ruddel; Ruddle; Bowman; Hite; Meredith, Walker, Scott, Spence, Hall, Davis, Edge, Pugh, Quick, Dandridge, Giles- all I can think of off the top of my head- will add more later.

QUOTE(Shanifaye @ Apr 28 2008, 06:44 AM) *
I have had a project in the works for a few years now....it was my goal to find out where my husbands 3rd great grandfather was buried so that I could see if he had a grave marker that notated his service during the War between the States, it took me almost 2 years to find where he was buried and he had no stone at all. I gathered all the necessary paperwork and ordered the free stone from the VA and it is back now and awaiting the monument company to install it for me.

This means I can start planning the memorial service and I'd really like to hear from people that have done this kind of thing before. I have a few ideas in my head and I have 5 months to get it planned (the service is set for September) but I REALLY want this to be something special....so if any of you out there have ever done this, or know someone that has planned one, I would really like to hear from you on what you did and how you went about it.

He didnt die in the war...he served almost the entire war and was at the surrender in 1865. He died in 1923.

I'm pretty sure the Sons of the Confederate Veterans will assist you with the ceremony if you ask. They will dress in uniform, etc and provide appropriate music, etc. I imagine some of them have participated in this type of event in the past and will have some ideas for you too. It sounds like a lot of fun (I don't like the word fun exactly, but....) and an opportunity to Provide honor and respect for his distinguished war service. I hope you will take lots of pictures and journal this great tribute for posting at AC. Can't wait to read about it.

I assumed he was CSA, but if he was Union, then the sons of the Union Vets will provide the same great advice and service.

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Apr 28 2008, 06:16 PM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

darn it.....I forgot to say it here.....I've already got the SCV involved, the stories I want are of what OTHER activities where done besides what the reenactors did

+Quote Post
thecohens
post May 1 2008, 01:16 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Abrahams, Barusch, Bernstein, Blumstein, Cohen, Cooper, Feldberg, Finkelstein, Greenbaum, Grossman, Jacobs, Kaminsky, Kaplansky, Kasle, Levin, Lichtig, Sarver, Tennebaum, Vishnick, Weinzimmer, Wishnek

I googled:

planning memorial-service

and a bunch of sites discussing how to plan a memorial service popped up. I don't want to pick one out for you as you'll know better which have the best ideas.

I have zero experience in this area, but I would guess telling stories remembered about him by his descendants and saying what else you know about his life from all your great genealogy research would be appropriate.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2019 - 06:11 AM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here