Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porter of Indiana, My granparents
J~netter
post Apr 10 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Surnames:
Ackley, Ashcraft, Augustus, Bailey, Beachamp, Nlaylock, Brown, Bryant, Bush, Butler, Campbell, Carr, Caudill, Clay, Custis, Day, deClare, DeSpencer, DeVary, Dumford, Edwards, Frakes, Freymeyer, Frymire, Fugate, Fuller, Gabbard, Gentry, Gwinn, Haddix, Hain, Hainline, Hollan, Holland, Hopkins, Howard, Hutchinson, Ingalls, Johnson, Jones, King, Lee, Lincoln, Marbury, Martin, Maupier, Maxwell, McIntosh, Miller, Mounier, Mullens, Napier, Neace, Noble, Parker, Parker-Bowles, Plantagenet, Porter, Rakes, Ratliff, Richardson, Robinson, Seymour, Shacklett, Shoemaker, Smith, Spencer, Spencer-Churchill, Stewart, Stuart, Thompson, Tudor, Turner, Via, Vires, Walker, Washington, Whitebread, White, Williams, Wilson, Windsor, Winslow, Woolfolk, Wright, Young

This is the picture of my mom's parents Samuel Farney Porter, Sr. and his wife Mary Magdalene DeVary Porter. This was their wedding picture. This was taken about 3 months after their wedding. She was already expecting their first child Sam Jr. They had a photographer scheduled for their wedding but he never showed up so they this one taken later. They were married at the beginning of 1915. Grandpa served in the Army for 8 years following the Spanish American War during the Philippine Occupation. He was stationed at Fort McKinley in the Philippines where he was the officer's driver. Grandma never learned to read or write. They bought a grocery store in Kentucky where they were both born. Then after their 4TH child was born, they sold the store and moved to Indiana and bought a farm. Grandpa soon built a small plane runway for his sons and two corn cylos for their corn fields. They maintained a dairy/beef farm along with alfalfa fields. Later the farm was inherited by my Uncle Woodrow Wilson Porter (named after the President) and he extended it to a beef-alo (cross between Bison (buffalo) and domestic cattle) and a shetland pony farm. Uncle Woodrow became a school bus driver and would stop at his farm with the kids so they could see the ponies and feed them. But the ponies soon became spoiled from eating sugar cubes from the children, they would not eat their normal food. So Uncle Woodrow had to stop bringing the children. The Poters were the wealthiest people in the area and helped many people. they offered small free cabins for teh workers on their farm and also donated land to the community. There are street signs named after them from the land they donated. Two of my uncles (grandpa and grandma's sons) served in WWII. The youngest, Uncle Johnny, was captured by the Japanese. He was tortured and shot in the arm but within 3 hours of his capture he was rescued by the British. He went home to his wife and daughter and by the time he was 35, he died from leukemia. Of course at that time they thought he had been given "bad blood" from the transfusion and developed the disease. But we know better now. The Porters have many more interesting fact too. They were a very talked about family in this rural community of Pendleton, Indiana. Attached File  GrandmaMary_GrandpaSamWedPix.jpg ( 212.32K ) Number of downloads: 8
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
donnac91
post Apr 11 2008, 08:44 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Aspengren, Baker, Beauchler, Barnett, Barton, Bottomley, Ferguson, Harris, Hartman, Hornish, Houglan, Johnson, Kempton, Leach, Lindmark, Myers, McGuire, Powers, Scott, Shelton, Suibb,

Wow, what an interesting read. Sounds like you have a strong military background. How awesome. biggrin.gif

I noticed on your surname list that you have some Carr's, where are they from? I have Kerr/Carr in my lineage as well. My gggg-grandfather was James Kerr, who died on the "S.S. Central American" aka Ship of Gold.

Donna

+Quote Post
J~netter
post Apr 21 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #3

Surnames:
Ackley, Ashcraft, Augustus, Bailey, Beachamp, Nlaylock, Brown, Bryant, Bush, Butler, Campbell, Carr, Caudill, Clay, Custis, Day, deClare, DeSpencer, DeVary, Dumford, Edwards, Frakes, Freymeyer, Frymire, Fugate, Fuller, Gabbard, Gentry, Gwinn, Haddix, Hain, Hainline, Hollan, Holland, Hopkins, Howard, Hutchinson, Ingalls, Johnson, Jones, King, Lee, Lincoln, Marbury, Martin, Maupier, Maxwell, McIntosh, Miller, Mounier, Mullens, Napier, Neace, Noble, Parker, Parker-Bowles, Plantagenet, Porter, Rakes, Ratliff, Richardson, Robinson, Seymour, Shacklett, Shoemaker, Smith, Spencer, Spencer-Churchill, Stewart, Stuart, Thompson, Tudor, Turner, Via, Vires, Walker, Washington, Whitebread, White, Williams, Wilson, Windsor, Winslow, Woolfolk, Wright, Young

I am posting the Carr's in my line rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
J~netter
post Apr 21 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #4

Surnames:

These are my Carr's:

CARR
Abigail born 1751
Absolom born 1753 died 1829
Caleb born 1799 died 18 Jul 1842
Elijah born 1765 died 1834
Elisha born 1759 died 15 Jul 1827
Elizabeth "Betsy" born 1748 died 15 Sep 1846
Hannah
John born 1720 died 10 Jan 1792
John Junior Jr. born 1750 died 1803
Mary born 1747