> What do you want in a genealogy site?
Shanifaye
post Mar 24 2008, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

Well, it has been a week since the announcement that rootsweb was absorbed by Ancestry. I have spent a week reading the discussions on the mailing lists, blogs etc. I have seen people defend the action and I’ve seen groups jump like rats on a sinking ship.

Consider this my one year “state of the union” address lol

I honestly do not know what I think about what happened, I would *like* to take Ancestry at their word, but we all know they’ve tried to pull the wool over our eyes before. This is not bashing their recent move. This is about what I envision a genealogy site should be, this is about what I need people to do to help get us where I want us to be. This is about the fact that I cannot stand sites that charge money to access things that other people have submitted. This is about, I cannot do this by myself.
Lots of us have worked on our own genealogy projects. Lots of us have transcribed something, survery a cemetery, worked on some part of a census etc. AC is only as good as the contributors, AC is only going to help other people when we share what we have.

For a year now I and a handful of other members (and we are well over 600 now) have done our best to share resources, transcriptions, files, etc that I personally have done. I have several things that I’m working on transcribing to add to the site….but just a few people absolutely cannot get enough information up to help an entire nation of researchers looking for things. So here are some ideas that I had to hopefully get you, the AC member, to contribute some (in no particular order).

1. If you put a query out on a rootsweb mailing list, or ancestry message board etc…. Come here and post it as well, I KNOW, I know, I know, we all get busy....but if we can make time to put a query out somewhere else, it only takes a few minutes more to add it here.. It’s been proven MANY times that google searches bring up the AC post in the results, not a rootsweb mailing list post and as I have said many times…the more places you have your query the more people that will see it. Believe it or not, not everyone uses the rootsweb mailing list. I have had people find my own personal queries from this board and contact me.
2. If you have a death certificate/birth certificate/marriage license/ cemetery or tombstone picture(s) or transcription(s)/Bible records post them here too
3. If you have done like I have and transcribed even one particular district on a census for your own personal use (not as part of a group transcription project for rootsweb or another society), post It here too. You never know who is going to see it.
4. How many of you submit to find a grave? If you submit there, there is no reason you cannot post It here too.
5. Obituaries…we had QUITE a run when the obituary forum started, but it has died off. I KNOW more of us have more obituaries laying around.
6. Have you sent off for military service records or pension records? Share them with us!!
7. If you volunteer to do lookups, remember to check back to see if someone needs your assistance
8. If you post a query, remember to check back to see if any of us have questions for you..OR actually found something for you.

This site has the potential to do SUCH good for people….it already has, we have hooked up cousins, we have found people or records that other people didn’t have the resources to find and for what cost? TIME, that’s all it takes. So many of us revel in helping someone break through that wall, it makes us feel good to help someone else and take our minds off OUR brick walls.

This site is not going anywhere, it will never merge with anyone else, it will never sell out to anyone else, it will never ask you for money, all it will ever ask you for…is to share and to show the sites out there to make a buck, that it CAN be done, just out of kindness and the willingness to share.

I also want to remind everyone that this site DOES have a section for members to talk about non-genealogy related stuff. Sometimes you just want to lighten up and joke around. I see it start to happen on the mailing lists and people have a good time until someone comes in with the “I’m tired of reading about this, it has nothing to do with <insert mailing list name> please take it off the list. People by nature like to feel a comradery with the people they “communicate” with on a daily or weekly basis. As much as I do research, believe it or not there ARE times I’d like to hear a good joke or here about something interesting that’s going on with a member…so remember there is the chit chat forum just to hang out in.

Last, but certainly not least, if you don’t understand how the board works ASK, don’t just mail me and ask me to delete you because “it’s too hard”. It REALLY is easy to use and I am MORE than happy to work with you until you understand it.

If anyone else has ideas for how others can contribute I would love to hear them….so don’t be shy!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gara
post Mar 24 2008, 09:33 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Surnames:
ALLEN, WRENN/WREN, SPARROW, ROBERTS, BLACKWOOD, PARIS, SHELTON, ROBERTS, MAGRUDA, RYDER, CAGLE, KENNEDY, DAVIS,RAY, and others

[font="Comic Sans MS"][/font][size="3"][/size]

I like the idea behind your letter. I am trying not to be selfish with my research. I will be glad to post to this site when I have something to add.

I will be glad to help anyone with their research if I can do so.

What you said about the sites selling the information they have gotten for "free" is quite right.

dara

+Quote Post
cacshantih
post Mar 24 2008, 09:49 PM
Post #3

Surnames:
Penner, Head, Dickerson, VanRysel, Organ, Hamilton, Champion

I've got a question regarding #3.

If you have done like I have and transcribed even one particular district on a census, post It here too. This site is not going anywhere, it will never merge with anyone else, it will never sell out to anyone else, it will never ask you for money, all it will ever ask you for…is to share and to show the sites out there to make a buck, that it CAN be done, just out of kindness and the willingness to share.

I do some transcribing for the German Genealogy Group (www.germangenealogygroup.com). It never occurred to me that I could post those transcriptions to another site. If you are sure that we can post those to this group I will gladly do so - I just don't want anyone upset with me!

Thanks; I'll wait for your response.

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Mar 25 2008, 05:52 AM
Post #4

Administrator

Surnames:

I should clarify that Cathy, you make a good point and I will go and edit my post so as not to confuse anyone else. I didnt mean ones that someone has done for other groups UNLESS you might have done for your own personal use and then contributed it somewhere "just to be nice".

If you were part of a volunteer group that was working with the goal of getting them transcribed for a particular project, Im NOT asking you to post that here.

Sorry for any confusion!!!

+Quote Post
Mrs. T
post Mar 25 2008, 08:38 AM
Post #5

Surnames:
Mills
Scofield
Schofield
Hurst, Hirst or Hearst

QUOTE(Shanifaye @ Mar 24 2008, 08:55 PM) *
Well, it has been a week since the announcement that rootsweb was absorbed by Ancestry. I have spent a week reading the discussions on the mailing lists, blogs etc. I have seen people defend the action and I’ve seen groups jump like rats on a sinking ship.

Consider this my one year “state of the union” address lol

I honestly do not know what I think about what happened, I would *like* to take Ancestry at their word, but we all know they’ve tried to pull the wool over our eyes before. This is not bashing their recent move. This is about what I envision a genealogy site should be, this is about what I need people to do to help get us where I want us to be. This is about the fact that I cannot stand sites that charge money to access things that other people have submitted. This is about, I cannot do this by myself.
Lots of us have worked on our own genealogy projects. Lots of us have transcribed something, survery a cemetery, worked on some part of a census etc. AC is only as good as the contributors, AC is only going to help other people when we share what we have.

For a year now I and a handful of other members (and we are well over 600 now) have done our best to share resources, transcriptions, files, etc that I personally have done. I have several things that I’m working on transcribing to add to the site….but just a few people absolutely cannot get enough information up to help an entire nation of researchers looking for things. So here are some ideas that I had to hopefully get you, the AC member, to contribute some (in no particular order).

1. If you put a query out on a rootsweb mailing list, or ancestry message board etc…. Come here and post it as well, I KNOW, I know, I know, we all get busy....but if we can make time to put a query out somewhere else, it only takes a few minutes more to add it here.. It’s been proven MANY times that google searches bring up the AC post in the results, not a rootsweb mailing list post and as I have said many times…the more places you have your query the more people that will see it. Believe it or not, not everyone uses the rootsweb mailing list. I have had people find my own personal queries from this board and contact me.
2. If you have a death certificate/birth certificate/marriage license/ cemetery or tombstone picture(s) or transcription(s)/Bible records post them here too
3. If you have done like I have and transcribed even one particular district on a census for your own personal use (not as part of a group transcription project for rootsweb or another society), post It here too. You never know who is going to see it.
4. How many of you submit to find a grave? If you submit there, there is no reason you cannot post It here too.
5. Obituaries…we had QUITE a run when the obituary forum started, but it has died off. I KNOW more of us have more obituaries laying around.
6. Have you sent off for military service records or pension records? Share them with us!!
7. If you volunteer to do lookups, remember to check back to see if someone needs your assistance
8. If you post a query, remember to check back to see if any of us have questions for you..OR actually found something for you.

This site has the potential to do SUCH good for people….it already has, we have hooked up cousins, we have found people or records that other people didn’t have the resources to find and for what cost? TIME, that’s all it takes. So many of us revel in helping someone break through that wall, it makes us feel good to help someone else and take our minds off OUR brick walls.

This site is not going anywhere, it will never merge with anyone else, it will never sell out to anyone else, it will never ask you for money, all it will ever ask you for…is to share and to show the sites out there to make a buck, that it CAN be done, just out of kindness and the willingness to share.

I also want to remind everyone that this site DOES have a section for members to talk about non-genealogy related stuff. Sometimes you just want to lighten up and joke around. I see it start to happen on the mailing lists and people have a good time until someone comes in with the “I’m tired of reading about this, it has nothing to do with <insert mailing list name> please take it off the list. People by nature like to feel a comradery with the people they “communicate” with on a daily or weekly basis. As much as I do research, believe it or not there ARE times I’d like to hear a good joke or here about something interesting that’s going on with a member…so remember there is the chit chat forum just to hang out in.

Last, but certainly not least, if you don’t understand how the board works ASK, don’t just mail me and ask me to delete you because “it’s too hard”. It REALLY is easy to use and I am MORE than happy to work with you until you understand it.

If anyone else has ideas for how others can contribute I would love to hear them….so don’t be shy!!!!

+Quote Post
Carolyn
post Mar 25 2008, 08:42 AM
Post #6

Surnames:
Everly, Tuck, Russell

I am just curious about Rootsweb being "absorbed". Does it mean that AC will definitely start charging for use? I had not heard that piece of information and I agree with the precept about adding our "stuff" here. Surely there will be some snippet of information that someone else can use. I need to put all my genealogy in one place so I can upload it here. I love to share but am careless about being neat.
Thanks Shanifaye for keeping us up on what is going on in the genealogy world.

Carolyn Wheeler

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Mar 25 2008, 08:48 AM
Post #7

Administrator

Surnames:

Ok, I think people are getting confused a tad....AC stand for THIS site, Ancestrally Challenged, which has nothing to do with any other site (Im guessing you're thinking I mean Ancestry when I say AC?)

I will go find the press release so you can read it as it was released.

I have posted the press release in the Genealogy News forum

+Quote Post
Steph
post Mar 25 2008, 10:38 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

Cathy might be able to get permission from her group to post the census stuff she has? Who knows? They might say it's ok.

Goodness knows I have a mess of stuff around here that I have just been lazy about posting. It's like when you go to get a marriage license...especially the old ones....most of the time there are three or four on the page. I generally post the one I was looking for, but there is no reason not to post the info from the others. And I have got pages and pages of documents like that.

Steph

+Quote Post
Mrs. T
post Mar 25 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #9

Surnames:
Mills
Scofield
Schofield
Hurst, Hirst or Hearst

What I would like to see in a genealogy site is more free information. I resent having to pay for public information. What I resent the most is paying for something that I don't know would be helpful or not. Subscriptions to ancestry.com are very expensive. I wouldn't mind reimbursing for or paying for copies of information. I won't place any information on my family tree on any of the larger websites because I would rather share information I might have. I resent finding family trees on these websites and then have to pay to just view it.

If I ever place family tree info. online, it will be where I will have control.

Don't know if this post makes sense, but it is my 2 cents worth.

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Mar 26 2008, 06:20 AM
Post #10

Administrator

Surnames:

Amen Mrs. T!!! I feel exactly the same way....when I look at all the information ancestry has behind the "paid" door it makes me sick. Mama and I justify our subscription because we use it to help others that can't afford to get a subscription on their own but I will never give them my family tree information.....ever

I find SO many mistakes on there and you just cant get them to fix them so the amount of misinformation a person is paying for is outrageous!!!

What I do is find a person that *might* connect with me and contact them privately and then share my information that way

+Quote Post
Steph
post Mar 26 2008, 09:46 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

Absolutely. To have to pay to see a family tree is ludicrous...And if you pay and what the search brought up is not your family...how mad are you then? For years Ancestry didn't have one single thing that related to anyone in my family....and quite honestly except for the census records they still don't. Most everything they seem to have is New England and it doesn't appear that any of my folks were ever north of the Mason Dixon line.But I have found scads of stuff to help others out. And I adore research so it's worth it to me.

I really would like to see public records posted free. Certain state archives are working on it...but Ancestry seems to be cornering the market for now. WE just have to post what we find, and pass on whatever states or cities put up stuff of use to us. Georgia is posting death certificates, but it is going to take awhile to get them all up. Right now I think there are about 10 years worth. I just do not think we ought to have to pay anyone to see public records...its just wrong.

And a lot of posts on these little out of the way cemeteries that no one except family members are ever going to even look for. The obits probably don't seem too important, but I can tell you, I find scads of info...even if it is not on the deceased...but another family member who married into my branches somewhere.

I like to see certain things on history as well, because I know how it affected the migrations and finances of the family. Like the Oklahoma Land Rush. I know nothing about it and would love to see someone post an article on it here. We have folks that we cannot determine why they would suddenly pull up stakes here and move out to Oklahoma. Given the time frame, I'm betting that Land Rush is why.
My grandfather taught us that you can never learn too much and you should never stop trying. He is the one, by the way, who got me interested in genealogy in the first place.
Steph

+Quote Post
Lureigne
post Mar 26 2008, 10:36 AM
Post #12

Surnames:
Mother's Side:Lambert, Bradford, Meyers, Filson, Peckham, Terry,Coy
Father's Side:Bayer, Bowers, Sigler, Durr, Riely, , Fannin, Whitewing, Drake,

What do you want in a genealogy site

I agree with you in every aspect. I know I have seen USGenWeb do the switch and it is un-nerving.

I am new and can not afford a lot and cannot afford Ancestors.com high prices.

I will start inputting my ancestor info ( have lots)

Lureigne Gimay

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Mar 26 2008, 10:40 AM
Post #13

Administrator

Surnames:

Thanks Lureigne!! and just remember if you need a look up on Ancestry, thats one of the many reasons we are here!!!

+Quote Post
cacshantih
post Mar 26 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #14

Surnames:

I hope everyone realizes that the information at Ancestry.com can be gotten FREE by going to your local library and using their computers. You aren't really paying for the information - you're paying for the convenience of using information in your home at whatever hour of the day or night, in your jammies (or not), during your spare moments and getting the informaiton instanteously rather than waiting for the mail or interlibrary loan, or worse yet, having to drive hundreds of miles to access the information.

I wasted three hours of my time and $11 in gas and parking last week going to St. Louis City Hall to get copies of some information that the website said was there. I even called to verify it. After going through the metal detector I finally arrived at the correct office only to find it crowded with people. Twenty minutes later I found out that I had been misinformed; the info I wanted was only available thru Jefferson City. Back home I went, empty handed. Money and time wasted.

Thinking I could get "better" information on Footnote, World Vital Records, and Newspaper Archives (I'll admit it, I fell for their teaser lookups where you enter some of your data and they show you just enough to make you start salivating), I spent my birthday money purchasing subs to them. WASTE OF MONEY! Either my people are too ordinary and law abiding, or they just live in the wrong cities; I have yet to find one article or document on any of those sites.

I went to the St. Louis County Library (where I have to pay $50 a year for a library card as I live out of district, but they have a great newspaper and genealogy archive) two weeks ago and had to end my research early because they have a 30 minute limit on the microfilm machines when it's crowded and that day they just happened to have a genealogy club visiting from Illinois; now I'll have to go back another day (it's a 25 minute drive one way) to finish.

How is YOUR transcribing? Are you good at deciphering sloppy, archaic writing? Is that an i or an e? Or an a? Or maybe an o? Foreign names may look incorrect to us but be totally correct; do you know enough about the names from that era to make an intelligent choice? Do you really care if you have the name typed correctly? Work a couple of days for a genealogy site and you will understand why mistakes are made.

My point is that if you want a free site you are going to have to put either time or money or both into it. Do some volunteer transcribing for your local archive; the Missouri Archives just finished uploading their death certs, and are now working on birth certs, all with volunteers. Make a part of your local archive free.

The German Genealogy Group has lots of information on their site for marriages, births and deaths for New York. I was able to get free information from their site that the NY City Library wanted a research fee of $75.00 an hour for. I was so happy with GGG that I do volunteer transcribing for them as a pay back; my last assignment took 12 hours to finish. I am choosing to pay for the information they gave me by giving them my time. When they ran out of mailing money their transcribers all sent something in so they could continue to keep their site free.

So think about what is being asked here - what do you want in a genealogy site?

If a site doesn't have what you can use, it doesn't matter if it's free or not. Putting our bits and pieces of personal research on this site is a start, but I think if you want it to draw people to it, you need to concentrate on a specific area to research and specialize in.

Information on adoptions before 1917 is practically non existent. The files are scattered hither and yon, no one knows where to find them or, if you do find them, how to legally obtain them.

Prisoner records are another problem area, as are orphanages.

Cemeteries and obits are getting better, but they still need help.

You can't be everything to everyone without people to do the work, and money. And even then you can't meet every need.

I'll get off my soapbox now. Rootsweb has been anti-Ancestry for over a week, as have some other sites, and I'm tired of it all. Sorry it I have stepped on any toes; no one in particular was intended.

I'm waiting for the people who can't afford computers to start a campaign for free home computers so they can get their free genealogy info; don't they have rights too? (Sorry, I'll shut up now.)

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Mar 27 2008, 06:19 AM
Post #15

Administrator

Surnames:

Well I cant speak for everyone, just mama and me and I will let her throw her 2 cents in here....but she and I both over the last 20 years have done a lot of work in a lot of places, transcribing-researching etc. We've both worked on census for publishing and yes I know it can be difficult to read stuff, fortunately I seem to have a gift for being able to make out census writing (I will not claim to be able to read 100% of them 100% of the time) but a LOT of the time the crap the ancestry transcribers came back with is SO blatantly wrong its embarrassing, I have one woman who's name is Tempy, its very obvious to me that the census person wrote down Tempy....how is it in the Ancestry index? LARFSEY...... and if thats not bad enuff, just try to get them to fix it.....doesn't happen.

The county I live in and have volunteered for is SO possessive over records its not funny, honestly I have never seen a county so opposed to having other people post stuff on the internet. When I'm older and do not have to hold down a full time job I fully intend to park about the county courthouse and work on every single thing I can, even though its been done, its been done and copyrighted so that no one can do ANYTHING with it except spend money to buy the books they published. Heck, I cant even get the county coordinator to change my Adams webpage URL and email address on the "non" genweb page they run and I've been trying for over a year.

My families were also extremely common and never really appeared anywhere but census records, they don't even make it into the county family history books that are written, thats why having the information out there on them even in small amounts is SOOOOOOOO important. If not for a "small and insignificant" site I would NEVER have found a picture or life information on a man that I thought disappeared off the face of the earth. So you can bet I'm ALL for having stuff on here, no matter how little it is.

I still work on my ex husbands family, for my daughter, there was not one single thing on them on Ancestry or any other site that has been in existence since I started researching them in 1993 with the exception of census.

What I am *attempting* to do here is get a general consensus of what to offer here, find out who is willing to help do what and to what extent. I am not real big on flapping my lips and not having ideas to make things better (personally speaking...ie I try not to complain if I cant come up with an alternative) and thats exactly why AC was started.

Anyone thats been around since its inception knows that I lay awake at nite til 3 am thinking of things to add, ways to attract people and then get them to use their gifts and skills to help. My poor mother puts up with phone call marathons every time an idea sparks...and lord knows she's got better things to do than listen to me brainstorm on "what to do next on AC". I make no money from this...it costs me money, and its money I gladly pay to offer "small" information to people that might never ever find something on their family anywhere else. lol maybe I'll make a new slogan for us "Genealogy for the small ordinary family" dance.gif or "In Search of the alien ship that shuttled my ordinary family around to where they never appear anywhere"

bottomline....yes I've volunteered and done my part in helping over the last 20+ years....yes I know how frustrating it is to thing something is somewhere only to find out its not, yes I know how maddening it is to not find anything on the family Im working on......but I love the challenge. I told my husband last nite.....I would rather do genealogy research than anything else in the entire world, even to the point that I have politely dropped obligations and opportunities I have to do some other things to focus 100% on research....and not just MY research....to help others as well.

If I could win the lottery tomorrow I would quit my job and do nothing but research....or invent a time machine that will take me back to census day lol

ok...Im off my soapbox now too lol I need coffee badly

+Quote Post
Steph
post Mar 27 2008, 01:48 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Surnames:

LEt me add this......
I agree, if you live in the middle of nowhere and have to drive at least a half hour to even get groceries......and this is what I deal with.....then Ancestry is a Godsend. But that is NOT the point I was trying to make......The point is hijacking the info others put up for free and charging people to see it.

And yes...I have transcribed census records. Madison Co. Georgia did a masterful job of it and I worked on that project along with about a dozen others. We got together and talked with Heritage Quest who has a policy of donating census images to county websites if someone pays to have them scanned to disc. We all got together and had them do the entire set from 1850 to 1930. They kindly sold each of us a set..I think it may have cost us $40...it may have been less....for the entire bunch. Then we set ourselves to indexing them year by year. Each person took a district and kept with the same district all thru the years....so we know those folks as well as we know our own families. Then we swapped with someone else to proofread every name....and it was always the same person, so they came to know the family names quite well. Then each year was sent to one gentleman who alphabetized it and posted it.
So yeah....I can read old handwriting down thru the years quite well, and if I am unsure I go to Shannon.

There is nothing I hate worse than traveling miles to get something and finding out I was either lied to or someone just guessed and didn't bother to see if it was actually available. Or...I needed a marriage license from one county...I knew the names and exact dates. I KNOW it costs 25 cents to copy it. A woman volunteer to pick it up for me. SHe wanted $15 for thinking about doing it. $30 in gas. $15 for the license. And $35 an hour for her time from her front door back to her front door. ANd $5 postage.PLEASE. I just drove up, copied the dadgummed thing plus a bunch of others hit a couple of cemeteries for pictures and came home. Costs less than $10. Of course gas was a bit cheaper then...no telling how much the woman charges now.
When I copy a license for folks here....it's 25 cents for the copy and whatever the postage is.....41 cents now?

My family were pretty much law abiding dirt farmers. They just don't show anywhere except census records. Mostly they didn't have wills or own much land...so finding anything is a boon. Sites like this one that post snippets of info are the only chance I will ever have to find anything.
SUre we could focus on transcribing census records or marriage licenses....and we may get around to all that. I was there from the beginning of rootsweb, the first weeks they were online. IT took awhile to become what they did. It will take this site time to grow and it wont' grow at all without input from people. Rootsweb and Genweb didn't have a staff putting all that stuff online....it was dedicated unselfish researchers willing to spend time and money to do it. Same as here.

Shani and I have both cruised other genealogy sites to see if they offer anything wonderful. If they did we would post them here. SO far I have been nothing but disappointed in them IF you are going to pay the price....and it is negotiable sometimes...you will get more from a paid site with Ancestry. I don't hate them at all...they are a business and that is fine....but don't steal my stuff and charge other folks to see it and that is what is happening with rootsweb. Charge for scanning and uploading the census records, or whatever books or records that they have to spend their money and resources getting done. That's great. I Get that. But do not go to the county site and take my family Bible records and charge someone to look at them. That is piracy...no matter how you look at it.

Shani is right about something else as well...she lives in the county I lived in for over 25 years. Their Genweb site is just sad. IT is a huge county with a lot of important history....but they are so possessive over their records you just can't do anything with them None of the people up there will post anything, they put it all in books for the Historical Society and sell them. They don't even like you coming IN the Society offices unless you are a member. And last I checked they had ALL the soundex cards for the state for the 1880 census. Original soundex cards mind you. What a treat. And they are not wild about answering questions for folks who aren't members.
That county needs some retired folks who do have time to haunt the court house and who love research for it's own sake....and are willing to post what they find.

Shani comes by her love of research honestly. All three of us love to research stuff. Mine and Shani's just happens to fall in the line of family histories. And yes she does lay awake nites. The last time she was here something went whanky on the site and she spend over 9 hours trying to fix it. Needless to say, we didn't have much of a visit as she was only going to be here overnite. Me--I'd rather research than breathe.

In summary.....it's not Ancestry I object to....it's this hijacking of other folks work. Ancestry itself fulfills a big need and they could do and do do plenty of business with the stuff they are very much entitled to post.

Off MY soap box once again

+Quote Post
cacshantih
post Mar 27 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #17

Surnames:

Obviously I made a bad choice in posting my feelings regarding how people could help make things available without charging for the service.

I did not mean to infer that Shanifaye and her mom have no knowledge or nor have never done transcribing or research at or for other sites. Those statements were for the newbies out there who don't realize how various sites get their info, and how they could help this site or another grow by giving of themselves.

I apologize for expressing my feelings and causing anyone to feel hurt.

I am going to get some chocolate, take a Xanax, and remove myself from the list.

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Mar 27 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #18

Administrator

Surnames:

Of course you didnt make a bad choice!! I completely see where you're coming from, and didnt take it personally....I was just answering some of the things you brought up for future people to be able to read and understand just how passionate I am about genealogy lol (and all before I had coffee this morning, so it came across a little garbled lol)

no removing yourself allowed!!!! I have reeses peanut butter eggs I can share dance.gif

+Quote Post
margaretann
post Mar 27 2008, 02:43 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Surnames:
James; Tull; Woods, McIntire; McIntyre; Cox, Day; Johnson; Rogers; Morton; Huggins;Cooper; Ruff; Cooksey; Randolph; Poe, Brown; McMillian; Taylor; Myers; Neff; Pennywitt; Will; Sherman; Scherman...; Longernecker; Harpine; Coffman; Kauffman...; Horn; Stiles; Styles; Riddle; Ruddel; Ruddle; Bowman; Hite; Meredith, Walker, Scott, Spence, Hall, Davis, Edge, Pugh, Quick, Dandridge, Giles- all I can think of off the top of my head- will add more later.

Several times per year a pop-up survey will appear while I am researching on the ancestry.com website. I take every opportunity I can to tell them we need more southern records and I give specific area I would like to see them focus on including historical newspapers for these poorly covered areas. The people on the East Coast just do not understand what it is like not to have any records of the family. They have records from the beginning of time including multiple newspapers, city directories, cemeteries that keep records and a person at the cemetery who can look up a record in just a jiff- that doesn't happen in the south. We have to jump a couple fences, wade through the mud, fight off the snakes and skeeters and then take a hoe or shovel to try and locate a marker that may or may not even be there after we finally locate the cemetery. City directories are non-existant in our rural areas. We have had multiple courthouse losses sometimes in the same county. I could go on and on here, but seems like there are a lot of southern researchers on this forum who know exactly what I am talking about.

I would love to see a site dedicated to the South. My direct ancestors are all in the south and I know what it is like to only have a census record and sometimes they don't even show on the census records. Pre 1850 Southern Research is even more difficult........

So, if you are researching on ancestry or any of these other sites and a little survey pops up take the time to answer and ask for more southern records.

Looking for those elusive southern ancestors,
Margaretann

+Quote Post
Steph
post Mar 27 2008, 05:36 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Surnames:

You forgot Kudzu..which means no searching for those lost cemeteries in the summer.

I do completely understand what point you were trying to make. And this point as well. I guess either every court house in the south was burned at one time, or like one county specifically that I know.....folks were allowed to take those records home and keep them there. Those never made it back to the courthouse and wound up mouse food in someone's attic. One brilliant person at the courthouse here decided they no longer had room to store old records so they took them out and what they did not burn, they buried. And this was about 4 years or so ago. A crime? No, not really I guess, but you would have loved to have seen the dance I did when I found out. And a bunch of other researchers as well. "THEY" claimed the records had no value. But who's to say. They didn't invite the Society to look at them or take the opportunity to take and store them...they just disposed of them. SO we will never know what went missing.

I agree with you too ...I look at all these websites and there is so much on New England it makes me want to cry. I would love to see one concentrate solely on getting stuff uploaded from these little wide spots in the road. Those are the records that need to be uploaded. We have some great people here in my county who do amazing amounts of work...of course it all went on GenWeb...but that site has now moved here to Ancestrally Challenged...so I feel a lot more comfortable contributing to them. And believe it or not...if you have folks from NC, SC or NC missing...you might try checking Pike Co. GA for them. I found three of my own branches that made stops in Pike Co before moving on west.

And newspapers.....the Atlanta paper seems to have put news from all over the south in their articles....but Ancestry only has a few issues of that. And have you looked at how much a membership to the Atlanta Journal Constitution website costs.....and even at that, they actually limit how many articles you can look at????

Bless the folks who do go thru papers in small towns and publish books on them. Unfortunately, there again, my family never did a noteworthy thing in their lives except fight in the various wars. And before someone takes me to task on that.....I am grateful for every veteran with the courage to fight. Those war records are sometimes the only thing besides census records that tell me my folks actually lived. For some reason the better portion of them either had no tree in their Bibles or some evil descendant is hiding them from us.

So I am trying to get my act together to post what I can find on my people, so the next bunch won't have such a tuff time of it.

Sorry if I got testy, but you are right folks new to genealogy need to know the ins and outs. They also need to know that those of us Old Hands actually do have a clue what we are doing...tho if you saw my computer area, you would seriously question not only my abilities, but my sanity as well.

We need other southern folks like you to keep posting and reminding us when and where we fall short. If we are going to ask what we can do, we need to put on our big girl panties and deal with what we hear and try to do what we are asked.
Thanks for being there and thanks for all your posts.

Steph

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2019 - 02:26 PM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here