Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Where is Estarda, Oregon?
Shawn
post Mar 3 2008, 02:25 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Surnames:
Johnson, Stowell, Wagener, Calvin, Burgess, Sweet, Livingstone, Porter, Butterfield, Root, Lewis, Bagwell, Waters, Lattin, Bourbon, Boisdore dit Bourbon, Horner, Hotchkiss, Hickernell, Stull, Mitchell, Bayless, Lucas, Lake, Fancher, Haggard, Randolph, Lindsey, etc.

Last night, I found out that my gr-uncle was born in Estarda, Oregon. Does anyone know what county that's in? I've looked on Rootsweb and just a general search for it on Yahoo. Nada. Even tried Estrada. Nothing. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Mar 16 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Abrahams, Barusch, Bernstein, Blumstein, Cohen, Cooper, Feldberg, Finkelstein, Greenbaum, Grossman, Jacobs, Kaminsky, Kaplansky, Kasle, Levin, Lichtig, Sarver, Tennebaum, Vishnick, Weinzimmer, Wishnek

Uh, check out the resources at http://bluebook.state.or.us/

What's your information source, just someone's memory, or written records?

Could it be "at the Estrada home?" jumbled in someone's mind?

tc

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Mar 16 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Abrahams, Barusch, Bernstein, Blumstein, Cohen, Cooper, Feldberg, Finkelstein, Greenbaum, Grossman, Jacobs, Kaminsky, Kaplansky, Kasle, Levin, Lichtig, Sarver, Tennebaum, Vishnick, Weinzimmer, Wishnek

Hey, what do you think about my find at the ZIP code search tool at http://411.com?

"Estacada, OR, United States" in Clackamas County?

I just entered "Estarda" without a state, and it camee up with a bunch of possibilities...

Having trouble getting exact URL for zip search, but click on the link to search ZIP codes, and just fill in town, it will hunt for similar city/town names.

+Quote Post
Shawn
post Mar 17 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Johnson, Stowell, Wagener, Calvin, Burgess, Sweet, Livingstone, Porter, Butterfield, Root, Lewis, Bagwell, Waters, Lattin, Bourbon, Boisdore dit Bourbon, Horner, Hotchkiss, Hickernell, Stull, Mitchell, Bayless, Lucas, Lake, Fancher, Haggard, Randolph, Lindsey, etc.

It was typed on my gr-uncle's death certificate as his birthplace. It clearly says Estarda, Oregon.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Samuel_Stowell_s_death_certificate.pdf ( 121.85K ) Number of downloads: 6

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Mar 17 2008, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Surnames:

Sigh, well it also says he spent his whole life in Kansas city, lived in Independence, Missouri. How could he never have lived anywhere but Missouri if he was born in Oregon?

Do you have any information about where the family was living in 1927 and 1928?

Remember that the birth information on a death certificate is only as good as the mental state and memory of the informant, and not primary, irrefutable evidence. It may be clearly typed Estarda, but that doesn't prove there was such a town, only that that is what the clerk thought the father said or wrote down.

I think it might be worth checking with Clackamas.

+Quote Post
Gerrie
post Mar 18 2008, 08:25 PM
Post #6

Administrator

Surnames:
Oh my is this space big enough lol... Roberts, Burks, McCoy, Hatfield, Morrison, Viney, Fortner, Forbes, Pearson, Brown, Enlow, Inlow, Dardenne, Denton, Quapaw, Bresee, Alexander, James, Elswick, Hart... I will add more as I know more

Incorporated Cities: Estacada

Downtown Estacada. (Oregon State Archives Photo)
More cities: A-D | E-K | L-R | S-Y | by county

Contact
Address: PO Box 958, 97023-0958
Phone: 503-630-8270
Fax: 503-630-8280
Web: www.cityofestacada.org

About
County: Clackamas
Elevation: 426'
Incorporated: 1905
Mayor: Robert Austin

this is the closest I could find maybe the clerk spelt it wrong while typing the cert

+Quote Post
Gerrie
post Mar 22 2008, 04:08 AM
Post #7

Administrator

Surnames:
Oh my is this space big enough lol... Roberts, Burks, McCoy, Hatfield, Morrison, Viney, Fortner, Forbes, Pearson, Brown, Enlow, Inlow, Dardenne, Denton, Quapaw, Bresee, Alexander, James, Elswick, Hart... I will add more as I know more

Shawn, There is no such place as Estrada, Oregon. I have lived in Oregon for 32 years and Estacada, Oregon is about 10 miles from where i live in Clackamas County. If your great uncle lived there, it was a Redneck logging town for years that had about 10 lumber mills, now all gone. During the Great depression, many people migrated from the midwest and south during the "Dustbowl era" Perhaps this was the case with your relative. today, Estacada is an outlying surburb of Portland Oregon, becoming very yuppyish. My area is similar in that Molalla,Oregon was also a logging town

I posted this for Gary Hartt he was having some problems posting. I have a phone number he wanted to pass along also but I did not want to post it for public viewing. PM me for it.

+Quote Post
Gerrie
post Mar 22 2008, 04:13 AM
Post #8

Administrator

Surnames:

QUOTE(thecohens @ Mar 17 2008, 09:30 PM) *
Sigh, well it also says he spent his whole life in Kansas city, lived in Independence, Missouri. How could he never have lived anywhere but Missouri if he was born in Oregon?

IT is possible he was born there but they lived in MO. My nephew was born in Texas but they lived in MO. FYI Independence and KC are about 20 miles apart, most peeps around here consider Independence part of KC. We go to Children's Mercy at least once a month.

+Quote Post
Shawn
post Mar 22 2008, 03:19 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Surnames:

I meant to reply to earlier replies, but my connection was bad the last few days, due to the rain. Anyway, thanks for the info. My gr-grandfather worked in a lumber yard in Montana during WWI, so I suppose he could've also worked in the same field in Oregon as well. As for the name of the town, thanks for clearing that up. I figured it was either typed wrong or it didn't exist anymore.

QUOTE(Gerrie @ Mar 22 2008, 04:08 AM) *
Shawn, There is no such place as Estrada, Oregon. I have lived in Oregon for 32 years and Estacada, Oregon is about 10 miles from where i live in Clackamas County. If your great uncle lived there, it was a Redneck logging town for years that had about 10 lumber mills, now all gone. During the Great depression, many people migrated from the midwest and south during the "Dustbowl era" Perhaps this was the case with your relative. today, Estacada is an outlying surburb of Portland Oregon, becoming very yuppyish. My area is similar in that Molalla,Oregon was also a logging town

I posted this for Gary Hartt he was having some problems posting. I have a phone number he wanted to pass along also but I did not want to post it for public viewing. PM me for it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th January 2022 - 05:27 AM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net