Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GREENBAUM Brooklyn Township, Oakland, California
thecohens
post Jan 3 2008, 10:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Surnames:
Abrahams, Barusch, Bernstein, Blumstein, Cohen, Cooper, Feldberg, Finkelstein, Greenbaum, Grossman, Jacobs, Kaminsky, Kaplansky, Kasle, Levin, Lichtig, Sarver, Tennebaum, Vishnick, Weinzimmer, Wishnek

On the 1905 passenger list, my ggrandparents said they were going to meeet their brother-in-law, a Mr. M. Greenbaum, of 37 Monglonen Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. However, my relatives seem to think they came straight to California, and there is a Brooklyn Township, California, which is now in the Oakland area.

So, since I've had trouble tracking down which of the Many M Greenbaums in Brooklyn NY might be our relaives, I also have tried to check out Greenbaums in California.

I did find a Morris and Mary Greenbaum in San Francisco in 1900. This Morris Greenbaum was a tailor born in Russia in 1865, his wife Mary was born in Louisiana in 1870, and their son Joseph Greenbaum was born in New York in September 1888.

People often moved to and from San Francisco and Oakland at that time, so this family seems worth tracking down, but I find nothing about them, anywhere, before or after that 1900 census in SF.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steph
post Jan 4 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be. I have only been trying to look at this for you for 30 minutes and already I could pull my hair out. I found a Morris born in Russia who is a tailor married to a Mary and the census says he imigrated in 1901 (census could be wrong) and he became a citizen in 1908......these people are in NJ. BUT their birth years are off by nearly 10 years and it says Mary was born in New York.
Maybe Morris and wife were just visiting California in 1900 and didn't know when they were born???

Before I go completely off the deep end....what do you KNOW for sure about the folks you actually want to find? And I can try to go from there and see what if anything I can find.

Steph

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Jan 7 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Abrahams, Barusch, Bernstein, Blumstein, Cohen, Cooper, Feldberg, Finkelstein, Greenbaum, Grossman, Jacobs, Kaminsky, Kaplansky, Kasle, Levin, Lichtig, Sarver, Tennebaum, Vishnick, Weinzimmer, Wishnek

Sorry for the delay. Been having technical issues with the board.

All I know about Mr. Greenbaum is from the July 1905 passenger list on Nathan Bloomstein and family arriving from England. It says they were headed to meet a "Mr. M. Greenbaum" of 37 Monglonen Ave., Brooklyn, NY", and that he was his brother-in-law. I guess that would mean that his wife's maiden name was either Blumstein (or an English or Polish variation of that) or Vishnick (or an English or Polish variation of that). None of my living family members have ever heard of the Greenbaums.

I want to locate them and their descendants as we don't know anything at all about Nathan Bloomstein/Blumstein's family of origin, and we aren't at all sure that we know who all the siblings were of Nathan's wife, my great-grandmother, Esther Vishnick Blumstein (or Wishnick or Vishnek or Wysznaik, etc).

Everyone in the family seems to think that Nathan and Esther came straight here to the SF Bay Area, where there is an area in Oakland which shows in most of the census records as "Brooklyn Township." So, I hunted for Greenbaums in the 1900-1910 Censuses in SF area, and came up with the family I mentioned above.

I also hunted Brooklyn NY censues around 1900-1910 for M Greenbaums and, as you know, there are way too many of them with the limited information I have to go on.

I also have been wading through Greenbaum obituaries in the New York Times, trying to see if anything relevant would turn up, and nothing very interesting except for a 1909 one on a Nathan Greenbaum, transcribed at http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~thec...-29-1909-001-th. But not enough info to follow through and see his age and identify his origins, thinking maybe he might be named after the same ancestor as my ggrandfather. There were several Nathan Greenbaums in the NY Censuses around then.

More details about the passenger list I found is on my Blumstein page at http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~thec.../blumstein.html

Everything I've done so far on this is grasping at straws, hoping one of them might pan out. I am thinking I may try to get ahold of Nathan Blumstein's naturalization papers if I can. Would that say more about his origins? His WW1 Draft Card just says "naturalized" without saying where born, birthdate June 2, 1873. But that could be off, as many of my ancestors knew their birthdates according to the Hebrew calendar, and just figured out what day in the current year that Hebrew date was, when they filled out forms. He passed away in 1939, before Soc Sec.

I could not find a Monglonen Avenue. It could have been something else that sounded like Monglonen when pronounced with a thick accent, like Mt. Vernon or whatever.

Does that cover what you need to know? I'm thinking my next steps would be maybe a death certificate on Nathan Greenbaum and the naturalization papers on Nathan Blumstein, if I can get them. And continuing to study obituaries. None of it easy, and no guarantees any of it will help.

I am curious about that NJ couple you turned up. My family often got birth years and places mixed up, although 10 years off was a rarity. That's in part because most census takers could not communicate in Yiddush! smile.gif Did they have any children?

Thanks,
tc

+Quote Post
Steph
post Jan 16 2008, 07:15 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

I am going to have to really read and think about your reply before I even try to offer any suggestion. But one question immediately pops in to mind...You say this M. Greenbaum was supposed to be Nathan' brother in law and that Greenbaum must have been his wife's maiden name? Is it even vaguely possible it was Nathan's sister's husband...that would also make M. his brother in law???

Steph

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Jan 17 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Surnames:

Thanks, Steph. I'm not sure what I typed, but I do not know whether M. Greenbaum's wife was Nathan's sister, and a Blumstein (or Bloom or Bloomstein or whatever vers. of surname it might have been for her), or the wife was a sister of Nathan's wife (Esther Vishnick or Vishnek or Wyshniak or Wyshnak or whatever it was translated as), an unknown sibling we haven't heard of.

Esther's father had a lot of childbearing years for which we don't know of any children, and rumor has it that he had more wives than we know about. I have already connected with some parts of the family that had no clue about the rest of the"known" Vishnick relatives, so it's quite possible that there's more distant cousins running around than we know about.

The Greenbaum lead is a great one, but why or whyyyy the heck they didn't write out his first name...drat! Even if they did, I'd have many of them, but still a whole lot less than all M's.

I'm also slowly reading Greenbaum obits in the NY Times for clues, and am studying some Nathan Greenbaums who might have been named after the same forebear as my Nathan Blumstein was named after. But there's quite a few of them.

I've been in touch with one Greenbaum family, and it's another name that got changed over time. My Greenbaum contact who is not appear related, said their Greenbaums were previously Greenebaum and Grúnebaum, and some have become Greenes!

This digression is getting away from the original question I posted. Yes, the basic question is to identify our Greenbaum relatives. But where do I go with someone who only appeared in the 1900 SF census who might be a good bet?

The cemetary they would have been buried in if they died in the 1906 quake has not been very understanding of phone calls of the genre, "do you have any Greenbaums?" Of course they do, but they need more than just a surname to know which records to track down... it's a huge place, with records not centralized in one database at this point.

+Quote Post
Jezza
post Dec 29 2008, 01:09 AM
Post #6

Surnames:
Greenbaum

[quote name='thecohens' date='Jan 3 2008, 10:54 AM' post='3221'
On the 1905 passenger list, my ggrandparents said they were going to meeet their brother-in-law, a Mr. M. Greenbaum, of 37 Monglonen Avenue in Brooklyn, New York. However, my relatives seem to think they came straight to California, and there is a Brooklyn Township, California, which is now in the Oakland area.

So, since I've had trouble tracking down which of the Many M Greenbaums in Brooklyn NY might be our relaives, I also have tried to check out Greenbaums in California.

I did find a Morris and Mary Greenbaum in San Francisco in 1900. This Morris Greenbaum was a tailor born in Russia in 1865, his wife Mary was born in Louisiana in 1870, and their son Joseph Greenbaum was born in New York in September 1888.

People often moved to and from San Francisco and Oakland at that time, so this family seems worth tracking down, but I find nothing about them, anywhere, before or after that 1900 census in SF.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
[/quote]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2022 - 04:33 PM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net