Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Oct 31 2007, 03:16 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Surnames:
Abrahams, Barusch, Bernstein, Blumstein, Cohen, Cooper, Feldberg, Finkelstein, Greenbaum, Grossman, Jacobs, Kaminsky, Kaplansky, Kasle, Levin, Lichtig, Sarver, Tennebaum, Vishnick, Weinzimmer, Wishnek

If anyone reading this thread wants to apply for someone's original SSec applic, I recall reading somewhere, probably on this board wink.gif, that you have to tell them you want copies of the original records or they'll end up just sending a computer printout for your big bucks.

+Quote Post
Duane
post Oct 31 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #23

Surnames:
Pell, Hook, Stacey, Chambers, Irion, Reusch, Collins and many more

James, Anne Shephard and Carl Donaldson come into my research on my mother's side of the family. In all your postings you state you are looking for your son's great grandmother, just how do you fit into this lineup, are you married into the Donaldson line?

Please email me directly and we can see just what we have and where we have looked and maybe we can work together on putting more of this line together. I have received help from Jim McGrath (I think the spelling is correct), as he is also from this Donaldson line, do you know him?

My email address is pelldp@msn.com. I look forward to hearing back from you, until then.

Duane

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Oct 31 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #24

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

I have looked every way I can think of in 1900 and 1910 I cant find her.....I found the person that posted above me on Ancestry last nite and asked him to come over and contact you because he was doing the same family and his info had her SS info and sourced an obit and some other stuff.

Im sorry I couldnt find more for you!!!

+Quote Post
JamesRussell
post Oct 31 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #25

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Donaldson (WA-IN-MO), Hollis (PA), Link, McCaffery (MT), McGrath (MT)

Hello,
I have her SSA info. Only her SSA#. I also have her obit and I have a picture of her headstone. Try as I might, I just can't find any other info. I guess I'll let this one go for awhile.

Thank you all, for everything.

JamesRussell

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Oct 31 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Abrahams, Barusch, Bernstein, Blumstein, Cohen, Cooper, Feldberg, Finkelstein, Greenbaum, Grossman, Jacobs, Kaminsky, Kaplansky, Kasle, Levin, Lichtig, Sarver, Tennebaum, Vishnick, Weinzimmer, Wishnek

James, if you are still reading, if you know where she was buried, you might also try contacting whoever is maintaining the cemetary records where she is buried. If you are lucky, they might tell you who paid for the burial and give you their address and other information.

+Quote Post
JamesRussell
post Oct 31 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Surnames:

Anne was laid to rest next to her husband, Carl L., who preceeded her 18 years. She did marry a Canadian, Homer Williams, after Carl died but she divorced him and retained the Donaldson name. She is currently located at Evergreen-Washelli cemetery in Seattle, WA.

Thank you for your help.
JamesRussell

+Quote Post
Gerrie
post Oct 31 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #28

Administrator

Surnames:
Oh my is this space big enough lol... Roberts, Burks, McCoy, Hatfield, Morrison, Viney, Fortner, Forbes, Pearson, Brown, Enlow, Inlow, Dardenne, Denton, Quapaw, Bresee, Alexander, James, Elswick, Hart... I will add more as I know more

Since she was American and she married and Candian is it possible there is immigration papers somewhere you can look up?

+Quote Post
JamesRussell
post Nov 1 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Surnames:

Gerrie,
Thank you for your reply, but Anne was born in Utah, her first husband Carl was born in Kansas. Anne had a second husband and while I am sure someone cares about him, I don't. He's just a footnote to me.

One the other hand it was Anne's mother that was born in Canada, while Anne's father was born in Maine. Since I don't know either of there names, I can't ckeck for immigration papers.

I am still thinking I am going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a death cert. Oh Well, hobbies can be expensive. Have a great November everyone.
JamesRussell

+Quote Post
Gerrie
post Nov 1 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #30

Administrator

Surnames:
Oh my is this space big enough lol... Roberts, Burks, McCoy, Hatfield, Morrison, Viney, Fortner, Forbes, Pearson, Brown, Enlow, Inlow, Dardenne, Denton, Quapaw, Bresee, Alexander, James, Elswick, Hart... I will add more as I know more

QUOTE(JamesRussell @ Oct 31 2007, 11:15 AM) [snapback]2963[/snapback]

She did marry a Canadian, Homer Williams, after Carl died but she divorced him and retained the Donaldson name. JamesRussell

Thank you for your reply, but Anne was born in Utah, her first husband Carl was born in Kansas. Anne had a second husband and while I am sure someone cares about him, I don't. He's just a footnote to me.

One the other hand it was Anne's mother that was born in Canada, while Anne's father was born in Maine. Since I don't know either of there names, I can't ckeck for immigration papers.

I am still thinking I am going to have to bite the bullet and purchase a death cert. Oh Well, hobbies can be expensive. Have a great November everyone.

That is what I was talking about I am sure he is not important to you however the immigration application (if there is in fact one) where she would of had to list her children siblings and parents

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Nov 1 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #31

Administrator

Surnames:

I dont understand how Homer's immigration application would pertain to anything? She more than likely met him in the states so why would his application have anything to do with her on it?

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Nov 1 2007, 08:15 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Surnames:

You mentioned never hearing back when you wrote for some other certificate on someone else.

Just make sure you get the date of death and county and state off of some official source like the SSDI or state death index and you should be all right.

Another option for finding where she was is to look her and hubby up in city directories in likely locations. You can do it yourself for your own town or online at http://DistantCousin.com/Links/Surname.html

Of course, the best way is to get someone to check city directories for every year just before and after the target dates. I had a cousin just do this for me at Oakland City Library and she found our great-grandparents address for 1910 who weren't showing 1910 census. Ancestry has city dir. but only for around 1890 pretty much.

+Quote Post
Gerrie
post Nov 1 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #33

Administrator

Surnames:

QUOTE(Shanifaye @ Nov 1 2007, 06:55 AM) [snapback]2967[/snapback]

I dont understand how Homer's immigration application would pertain to anything? She more than likely met him in the states so why would his application have anything to do with her on it?

But how do we know she met him in the states, or even if she did that he was not " visiting". We cant assume anything, it is just a path James can look into.

+Quote Post
Steph
post Nov 9 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

What you really need/...is more advice..

Aside from that..what you need is someone who lives in the county where she died. You might find one of them on the Genweb site for that county. Ask them if they will go and look at a death certificate for you. I do that here in Pike and they let me make copies for a quarter and I just charge that and the postage for people. There is probably someone who will do it for you. Can't hurt to ask. ANything is better than $17 just to get info. If you should call the county and ask...and make it clear you do NOT need a certified copy..you only want one for genealogy purposes they might do it cheaper than $17 for you.

STeph

+Quote Post
JamesRussell
post Nov 9 2007, 10:24 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Surnames:

Hello Steph,
I actually live in the county were she died and was buried. I was downtown on some other business when I had to get a birth cert. I had to fill out a form and found out that birth and death certs for the State of Washington are now $20.00. I told the woman I didn't need a certified copy and she said they are all certified and that was that. I asked about a State of Washington death register and had to explain what I was looking for was a list of who died when. She said she was not aware that the state had one.

Like I said, hobbies can be expensive. It looks like the only way I will know who her parents were is to buy a birth cert. The woman at the courthouse did tell me one thing that I thought was great. I asked if there was a restriction on who's cert I could get. Could I do a 1st cousin 3 times removed or would I have to show some relation. She said if I knew the info and they were born or died in the state, I could get anyones birth or death cert.

Now, where is my LOTTO ticket?

JamesRussell

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Nov 9 2007, 10:28 AM
Post #36

Administrator

Surnames:

Wow I have never heard of having to pay that much if you were actually AT the courthouse to get a xerox copy of one that old. Heck when I go to Haywood County (in NC) they dont even make me pay the 10 cents for using the copy machine. Thats insane

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Nov 11 2007, 01:13 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

Surnames:

I thinks it's how they make up for budget cuts. Genealogists are a prime target and ripe for the picking. sad.gif

They charge for the labor of hunting for the certificate, even if they don't find it. Very expensive hobby for those of us who aren't rich, especially when half the time, the some of the most important data on the form is "unknown".

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Nov 11 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #38

Administrator

Surnames:

Mother and I were talking about this, this weekend. Did you tell them you only wanted a photocopy for genealogy files? Thats what we do and we dont have to pay the full fee

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th January 2022 - 05:33 AM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net