Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orville A Holmes, Jr
Shawn
post Sep 23 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Surnames:
Johnson, Stowell, Wagener, Calvin, Burgess, Sweet, Livingstone, Porter, Butterfield, Root, Lewis, Bagwell, Waters, Lattin, Bourbon, Boisdore dit Bourbon, Horner, Hotchkiss, Hickernell, Stull, Mitchell, Bayless, Lucas, Lake, Fancher, Haggard, Randolph, Lindsey, etc.

While, my family was here, waiting to go home after Ike hit, my aunt showed me her birth certificate. She's been looking for info on her birth father ( She's my dad's half-sister). She talked to Grandma's sister and did find out somethings abt him. Here's what she knows, so far.

Orville A Holmes, Jr.
28 yrs old (as of April 29, 1953)
born in Kansas City, KS

worked for Union Pacific as a signalman
died in the late 80's or early 90's of cancer
had a sister
father was an alcoholic, as was he
mother hanged herself
since he is a jr, his father could be Orville Holmes Sr

My aunt's info:
Kathryn Marie Holmes
DOB: April 29, 1953
POB: Marysville, Marshall, KS
Mother: Sarah Violet Stowell

I wanted to see if Orville Sr was listed on the WWI Draft database on Ancestory or in census for 1900-1930. Don't have his wife's or daughter's names. Orville Jr and Grandma divorced when my aunt was 3 or 4, I think she said. She was told that he tried to look for her. But I guess Grandma and her family made it hard for him to. I'm sure alcohol was a factor. Would like to find some more info for my aunt. Thanks! smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
donnac91
post Sep 24 2008, 03:38 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Aspengren, Baker, Beauchler, Barnett, Barton, Bottomley, Ferguson, Harris, Hartman, Hornish, Houglan, Johnson, Kempton, Leach, Lindmark, Myers, McGuire, Powers, Scott, Shelton, Suibb,

Shawn

I have found the following on a Orval A Holmes on the WWI draft records

Orval A Holmes
1125 Oak Kansas City, MO
dob: May 7, 1894
pob: Frankfort, IND
Attached File  orval_A_Holmes.jpg ( 35.12K ) Number of downloads: 2

Then on the WWII Army Enlistment Records.

Orval A Holmes
born: 1921
Native state: Kansas
State: Missouri
County/City: Jackson
Enlistment: 21 Oct 1940, Ft Levenworth, Kansas
Medical department
Education: 2 yrs High school
Height: 64
Weight: 120

Then on the 1930 Census I have

Kansas City, Wyandotte, Kansas

Orval A Holmes Head M W 36 M 23 Indiana, Indiana, Indiana
Sadie H Holmes Wife F W 30 M 17 Kansas, U.S., Illinois
Margery Holmes Daug. F W 8 S Kansas, Indiana, Kansas
Orval A Holmes Jr. Son M W 6 S Kansas,
Evelyn May Holmes Daug. F W 2 1/12 S Kansas
Earl E Holmes Brother M W 21 S Oklahoma

Does this sound right? I know the spelling of the first name is off but the rest sort of fits

+Quote Post
Shawn
post Sep 25 2008, 11:19 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Johnson, Stowell, Wagener, Calvin, Burgess, Sweet, Livingstone, Porter, Butterfield, Root, Lewis, Bagwell, Waters, Lattin, Bourbon, Boisdore dit Bourbon, Horner, Hotchkiss, Hickernell, Stull, Mitchell, Bayless, Lucas, Lake, Fancher, Haggard, Randolph, Lindsey, etc.

They sound like the right ones from what little I have. The birth year of Jr on the enlistment record looks a little off, but then, so was Grandma's age on my aunt's birth certificate. Anything is possible I guess. People lied abt their age a lot back then. Thanks for the look up. I appreciate it. Hope I can return the help someday. smile.gif

+Quote Post
donnac91
post Sep 25 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Aspengren, Baker, Beauchler, Barnett, Barton, Bottomley, Ferguson, Harris, Hartman, Hornish, Houglan, Johnson, Kempton, Leach, Lindmark, Myers, McGuire, Powers, Scott, Shelton, Suibb,

No problem! It's not often I get to help anyone. I usually need help laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Shawn
post Sep 28 2008, 07:04 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Surnames:

I found the death certificate for Sadie Holmes, Orville Sr's wife and Orville Jr's mother. She did die by suicide as my aunt was told in 1946 at the age of 46.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sadie_Holmes_Death_certificate.pdf ( 64.52K ) Number of downloads: 3

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd January 2022 - 09:04 AM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net