> Find a Grave
Shanifaye
post Mar 21 2007, 03:05 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

Im not sure how many of you have seen this site (I know some have because you've mentioned volunteering for it)

http://www.findagrave.com

This is a place were you can input a name, along with other search info, and see if its been cataloged. There is also a forum there for queries for particular graves for each state.

For example, one of the names I research is Derreberry (and various spellings), when I put in a query for Michael Alexander, this is what it brought back

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?p...n&GRid=5220330&

pretty cool huh?

Check it out!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Casey
post Mar 21 2007, 06:53 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Surnames:
Allison, Brady, Brown, Coleman, Corp, Cosby, Fischer, Gray, Hershey, LeSueur, Nutting, O'Keefe, Owens, Owings, Reed [Reid], Wheelock, Woodson, Zgonc

Oh yeah, I've been a member for a while here too. Awesome site!

I have been a volunteer for grave photos since last November and it feels so good to help someone see the grave of their ancestor.

If you have a camera, some spare time, and a good heart, you're already qualified.

Remember, it's reciprocal, so you can request photos as well. I've had 3 angels take pictures of my grandparents and sister's graves.

Mucho recommended!

+Quote Post
Shawn
post Mar 21 2007, 07:34 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Johnson, Stowell, Wagener, Calvin, Burgess, Sweet, Livingstone, Porter, Butterfield, Root, Lewis, Bagwell, Waters, Lattin, Bourbon, Boisdore dit Bourbon, Horner, Hotchkiss, Hickernell, Stull, Mitchell, Bayless, Lucas, Lake, Fancher, Haggard, Randolph, Lindsey, etc.

Yeah, it's a great site! smile.gif I've found a few of my ancestor's and also put in some that i knew of, like my paternal grandparents and maternal gr-grandparents. I even found a distant cousin who was buried here in a local cemetery. blink.gif It's the next best thing to going to the cemetery in person. smile.gif

+Quote Post
cbish68
post Mar 21 2007, 07:47 AM
Post #4

Surnames:
BISHOP MERRITT HUEY DEWAR DAWKINS MCKEMIE

I really like findagrave.com as well. They are a bit slow in digesting uploaded data, but its probably because they're growing so fast.

I uploaded a complete cemetery survery using their Excel template about ten days ago, and I'm still waiting for the data to show up so that I can add my photos to the memorials...

On the other hand, adding a few people to a cemetery directly on their website is instantaneous. The memorials show up immediately, and you can add photos or leave virtual flowers, etc. I have also done the photo request process from both sides, and its a great way to get photos made in distant cemeteries very quickly.

+Quote Post
Bonnie
post Mar 21 2007, 07:51 AM
Post #5

Surnames:
McCann, Blackburn, Grossmann, Deppmann/Dettmann, Johnson, Anderson. On my husband's side:
Selig, Godfrey, McCabe. Stilphen

I volunteer to do cemetery photos for the county that I live in, for Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness and post all the photos I take to the FAG site. When you use one of their templates to do an upload of an entire cemetery the work on your end is much quicker than doing individual entries, but they do take a long time to get posted when doing it that way. Once I waited four months to see my information show up on line. If you find a small rural cemetery you are better off doing each entry on your own, especially if you want 'instant' results.

+Quote Post
cbish68
post Mar 21 2007, 08:41 AM
Post #6

Surnames:
BISHOP MERRITT HUEY DEWAR DAWKINS MCKEMIE

QUOTE(Bonnie @ Mar 21 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]442[/snapback]

...When you use one of their templates to do an upload of an entire cemetery the work on your end is much quicker than doing individual entries, but they do take a long time to get posted when doing it that way. Once I waited four months to see my information show up on line...

Four months?

blink.gif

I guess I can stop rushing to their website every morning with giddy anticipation that my survey has been posted, huh?

Cripes.

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Mar 21 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #7

Huh?

Surnames:
Anderson, Chowning, Crabb, Eckels, Eddings, Fain, Fateley, Hill, Klimper, Lee, Moody, Moses, Nichols, Piercy, Piles, Slaten, Tallent, Weaver....

I'm a FAG addict. I just can't help myself. Is there a support group available? I've been going through my additions and linking them with other relatives. Takes forever, but I think if someone is researching on there, it would be very helpful.

+Quote Post
donnac91
post May 15 2007, 05:33 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Aspengren, Baker, Beauchler, Barnett, Barton, Bottomley, Ferguson, Harris, Hartman, Hornish, Houglan, Johnson, Kempton, Leach, Lindmark, Myers, McGuire, Powers, Scott, Shelton, Suibb,

Hi all,

I know that I have been harping about this site lately but here I go again tongue.gif

http://www.findagrave.com

Find a grave.com is easy and free to use. I know that I have recently added some names to Braman and Plainview cemeteries in Kay county, OK. I have others to add but haven't gotten to it yet.

I have some great news. I have some people that are extremely interested in adding more names to Find a Grave as well. One is an Indian cemetery near White Oak, Craig, OK. I have a friend that is an asst cheif in an area tribe that wants to have these records stored and available to all, especially since some are unmarked. Also have a few friends that work with area cemeteries that are planning to make adding names with a photo a summer project. One such cemetery has restricted access due to location. If all takes place as planned these cemeteries will be added for Mayes and Craig county OK. Wish me luck and patients, I'll have to talk them through this process. tongue.gif

Donna

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post May 15 2007, 05:42 AM
Post #9

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

(Donna, I merged your thread with the already existing find a grave thread!!)

+Quote Post
donnac91
post May 15 2007, 05:52 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Aspengren, Baker, Beauchler, Barnett, Barton, Bottomley, Ferguson, Harris, Hartman, Hornish, Houglan, Johnson, Kempton, Leach, Lindmark, Myers, McGuire, Powers, Scott, Shelton, Suibb,

Thanks Shanifaye!!!!

Didn't know that there was already a thread biggrin.gif Truth be told didn't look very hard either, too tired: had sick kid yesterday.

Donna

+Quote Post
familypulse
post May 15 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #11

I want to add my two cents on findagrave.com. Absolutely one of the best websites I've ran across. This past year, our family association has been trying to locate, photograph and restore (if necessary) about 200 graves from the late 1800's, early 1900's. When we didn't have family in some areas of the country, I asked for help on findagrave.com and some of the most helpful volunteers responded. They were willing to help find the grave, photograph it, and give me any information we needed! If you haven't used it already, try it out! Or volunteer to help with a cemetery in your area.

--Dave

+Quote Post
amguenther
post May 17 2007, 07:02 AM
Post #12

Surnames:
Eversole, Worthington, Calvin, Reed, Olsen, Homer, Hower/Hauer, Brazzell, Stecker, Black,
Guenther, Lemon/Lemmon, McKown, Snodgrass, Harryman, Nowell, White, Warren, Syma, Turner, Kline, Yergin, Stutzman, Bowman, Gau, Richenberg, Lampe

I have done some volunteer photography in my area for Find A Grave. It makes me feel good to be able to help complete strangers to have photos of their families gravestones when they cannot obtain them themselves. It has proven to be a very helpful website for me. I know I have gained information and photos for my family tree that I wouldn't otherwise have!

I am originally from Montana and am working on adding listings from the Old & New Bannack, MT cemeteries. I am planning a trip in July for "Bannack Days" where they bring the ghost town to life with re-enactors and turn of the (19th) century activities. I'll be taking some photos at that time to add to the information I've already received from the Chicora Foundation (see www.chicora.org ). They did a complete and comprehensive report in 2003 and have been very helpful in providing the information I requested. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
snapdragon1210
post May 17 2009, 12:53 PM
Post #13

Surnames:
Banister, Cannedy,Kennedy,Wilson, Eckert, Hannebaum, Buscher, Lusk, Dixon, Ruyle, Witt, Gilliland

Howdy,
I have been a member of Find A Grave for awhile now and I just love this site. I have found so many of my ancestors graves and pictures of the gravestones and even more information than I had. I recommed this site to everyone.
It is one of the best
Jean Linhart

+Quote Post
Steph
post Jun 16 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

You have to check back frequently too, because folks are adding everyday.
I had a ball going thru a couple of the really well known cemeteries in Los Angeles and finding the graves for all those old Hollywood Stars.

Gradually I am trying to upload all the ones I have made photos of over the years and adding any biographical info I might have as well.

Steph

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Jun 22 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Focus families: Hancock, Cotton, Reid, Wolf/Wolfe, Vizzier/Vaissier and various different spellings, LaRose, Langley, Simpson, the list is always changing and way too many to use so much space...

I love find a grave. You can find alot of info there. I have had listings for over 2 years and most of the people I have gotten to know (people who took volunteer photos) are really great folks. I have even become friends with a few of the folks who took photos for me. That I think is the coolest part ...being able to request photos and folks who are close to where your loved ones are buried will try their best to find and photograph headstones for you. I have a huge amount of photos that I would never have gotten or seen if not for all these people. I have taken a few volunteer photos in my area, but so far havent found too many requests for the cemeteries I am closest to and know how to find. Its a fun place.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th October 2022 - 12:57 AM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net