IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying to solve a mystery in Pennsylvania 1767, Trying to break thru the brickwall of Jacob Arney
Stan Arney
post Mar 29 2007, 01:42 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Surnames:
ARNEY (ARNY, EARNEY, EARNY, ERNEY, ERNY)

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is the first posting I'm making, besides my introductory post.
My brickwall leads back to York County, Pennsylvania to 1767. At that time a Jacob Arney moved his family from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. This same Jacob Arney died in Lincoln County, NC in 1784, about 17 years after leaving PA. The "brickwall" is: Who were Jacob Arney's siblings and more importantly who were Jacob Arney's parents? The main roadblock to this mystery is, that it seems there were, at least, two Jacob Arney's in York County, PA at the same time period. One Jacob, the son of Frederick Ernigh (from Switzerland), and the other, my Jacob Arney who moved to NC in 1767. For many years it was believed that the "two" Jacob Arney's were one and the same person. However, research into York County, PA tax records show that the son of Frederick Ernigh was "single" at the time he should be married and his eldest son, Christian (1750) was born. This information ruled out the son of Frederick Ernigh as being the same Jacob Arney that moved to NC. So, though we believe we know who Jacob Arney is NOT, we still do not know who Jacob Arney was? We know that he moved his family to North Carolina about 3 miles from Bethania. We know that his first son was Christian Arney who inherited his father's land and also died in Lincoln County, NC in 1834. We also know that my direct ancester, Peter Arney, was born in Tryon (later became Lincoln) County, NC in 1772. So, Peter lost his father at the tender age of 12 years old (Christian 34). It seems most other Arney genealogy researchers are content with leaving their research at the steps of Jacob Arney, at least those of my direct line of Arneys. I have tried reading the Pennsylvania Archives Series to see if I could find any clues, but found little. I have tried researching Pennsylvania Land Records, but again have found very little. I live in Wichita, Kansas, and my local genealogy department in my library is quite poor on other states. So, I have tried using the Internet to find clues to little avail as well. Any suggestions of websites to try or books to hunt down, would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kansas
post Apr 23 2008, 11:08 PM
Post #2

Surnames:
Rosenberg,Winger,Steele

I would first try the tax records again and look at all the older people listed with him. Generally,all people living in one home are listed together in the tax records. The first census was done in 1790 so I would suggest Roots@rootsweb.com. They have an excellant number of people who are willing to help find answers for those of us who don't the our way around. They've helped me many times. It also sounds as if you may have two men of the same name,very easy to do. If you can tell me the name of the site where you first found his name,and the one where you found his death,I will see if I can take it further for you. Are there any different spellings of his name and are you sure of his age? Kansas

+Quote Post
Stan Arney
post Jul 11 2008, 11:11 PM
Post #3

Surnames:

Well, Jacob Arney's will, the actual original will resides in the North Carolina State Archives in Raleigh, North Carolina. in 1784. This particular Jacob Arney left most of his land to his son, Christian Arney, Sr. who also died in Lincoln County, NC but in 1834. This Jacob Arney apparently moved his family, including Christian Sr. from Pennsylvania to North Carolina in 1767. Since this Jacob Arney died before the first Federal Census in 1790 it is difficult to actually pinpoint him in North Carolina. Also, interesting enough, his son Christian Arney, Sr. is not listed in the 1790 Census in North Carolina either. My direct connection to this Jacob Arney, is to a son that was born after this Jacob Arney moved to North Carolina, Peter Arney. Peter Arney was born in Tryon (now Lincoln) County, NC in 1772. He was 15, in 1787, when he was bound over by the court (to a John Fullenwider) to learn the trade of a miller. Finding DTP (Definitive Tangible Proof) of Christian Arney, Sr. or his father, Jacob Arney in Pennsylvania prior to 1767 has proven to be quite difficult. Tax records and birth records I have been unable to locate as of yet.

+Quote Post
Stan Arney
post Jan 9 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Surnames:

Jacob Arney (????-1782), died in Lincoln County, North Carolina

Jacob Arney married Anna Ursula KRON (1722-1761)

Anna Ursula KRON, arrived in the USA, from Essenhiem, Germany, in 1741, with her family.

Jacob and Anna Ursula had, at least, 4 children, born in the area of Yorktown, York County, Pennsylvania.

Christian "Christy" Arney, Sr. (1750-1834), died in Lincoln County, North Carolina
Adam "Lawernce" Arney (1751-1802), died in Burke County, North Carolina
Johann Heinrich "Henry" Arney, Sr. (1755-1830), died in Owen County, Indiana
Anna Elisabeth Setzer/Setser (1761-1849), died in Caldwell County, North Carolina

It's believed the family, left Pennsylvania, around 1767, moving to the area of Tryon County, North Carolina.

York County, Pennsylvania was created from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in 1749.

So, it's possible the family was actually living in Lancaster County, until the creation of York County.

Yorktown would have been in Lancaster County, until 1749, then would be in York County, Pennsylvania.

We know that Jacob's 1st Wife, Anna Ursula KRON, arrived in the United States, in 1741.
How long it took her to get together with Jacob and marry, is unknown.

In order to solve this mystery, of Jacob Arney, it's going to take a concerted effort, with people willing to collaborate, and genealogically "hammer" the areas of Lancaster County, PA, & York County, PA, until the truth can be learned.

Thank you, for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.

+Quote Post
barrycdog
post Jan 28 2013, 03:08 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Colbaugh, Leyden, Forrister, Puckett, Nall

QUOTE(Stan Arney @ Jan 9 2013, 10:13 PM) *
Jacob Arney (????-1782), died in Lincoln County, North Carolina

Jacob Arney married Anna Ursula KRON (1722-1761)

Anna Ursula KRON, arrived in the USA, from Essenhiem, Germany, in 1741, with her family.

Jacob and Anna Ursula had, at least, 4 children, born in the area of Yorktown, York County, Pennsylvania.

Christian "Christy" Arney, Sr. (1750-1834), died in Lincoln County, North Carolina
Adam "Lawernce" Arney (1751-1802), died in Burke County, North Carolina
Johann Heinrich "Henry" Arney, Sr. (1755-1830), died in Owen County, Indiana
Anna Elisabeth Setzer/Setser (1761-1849), died in Caldwell County, North Carolina

It's believed the family, left Pennsylvania, around 1767, moving to the area of Tryon County, North Carolina.

York County, Pennsylvania was created from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in 1749.

So, it's possible the family was actually living in Lancaster County, until the creation of York County.

Yorktown would have been in Lancaster County, until 1749, then would be in York County, Pennsylvania.

We know that Jacob's 1st Wife, Anna Ursula KRON, arrived in the United States, in 1741.
How long it took her to get together with Jacob and marry, is unknown.

In order to solve this mystery, of Jacob Arney, it's going to take a concerted effort, with people willing to collaborate, and genealogically "hammer" the areas of Lancaster County, PA, & York County, PA, until the truth can be learned.

Thank you, for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.

Did you post this picture?

Jacob Arney was born circa 1808 to John Erney/Erny/Arney. Jacob died ca 1896 in Centre Hall, Centre County, Pennyslvania. On April 8, 1838 in Centre County, PA, he married Rachel Mayer born 8-9-1818 in Bellefonte, Centre County, Pennsylvania to Adam Henry Mayer/Myer and Sarah Potiker/Potteiger. Rachel died 4-8-1893.

+Quote Post
barrycdog
post Jan 28 2013, 03:21 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Surnames:

THE PENNSYLVANIA MERCHANT

Philadelphia September 11th, 1732

Present: The Honorable Pat. Gordon, Esqr., Lt. Governor, S. Hassell, Esqr., Mayor, A. Hamilton, Esqr., Recorder.

The foregoing List was upon Oath declared by John Stedman to be a true & exact one. Robt. Charles., Cl. Con.

"At the Courthouse of Philadelphia, Sept. 11th, 1732... A List was presented of the Names of Seventy Palatines, who with their families, making in all One hundred & sixty eight Persons, were imported here in the ship Pennsylvania Merchant, John Stedman, Master, from Rotterdam, but last from Plymouth, as by Clearance thence." From the Minutes of the Provincial Council, printed in the Colonial Records, Vol. III, pg. 452.

[List 20 B] Palatines imported in the Ship Pensylvania Merchant, of London, Jno. Stedman, Master, from Rotterdam, but last from Plymouth, p[sic] Clearance thence. Qualified September 11th, 1732.

Friederich Erny

This is just a wild assumption but if Arney is a corruption of Erny could this be a possibility.

My family came over on a ship called the Forrest and the name was spelled Kalbach but my family name is Colbaugh

+Quote Post
barrycdog
post Jan 28 2013, 03:25 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Surnames:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancest...ctsummaries.htm

Group Coordinator: Cherie Ohlsson cherie_Ohlsson@yahoo.com

I am looking for someone to test from this line!

Frederick Arney (Erny), born in 1705, Switzerland, died in 1771, Colebrookdale Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania USA. Married about 1727, Switzerland, to Anna ??, born in 1705, Switzerland, died in 1732, Pennsylvania USA. (This parent is questionable and is disputed by some.)

NOTE: There is strong info researchers have uncovered giving the belief that the above Frederick Arney is NOT the father of this Jacob as previously thought. We are trying to find a documented descendant of Frederick Arney (Erny) to test.

Jacob, born in 1728, Switzerland, died in 1782, Lincoln County, North Carolina USA. Married about 1748, York County, Pennsylvania USA, to Anna Kron, born between 1728 and 1735, died after 1761.
Christian, born on 25 November 1750, Yorktown, York County, Pennsylvania USA, baptized on 19 June 1832, Lincoln, North Carolina USA, died in 1837, Lincoln County, North Carolina USA. Married before 1775, Lincoln County, North Carolina USA, to Sally ??, born about 1750, died before 1834.
Sebastian “Bastian”, born in 1775, baptized - Zion Lutheran Church, Wythe County, Virginia USA, died in 1810, Wythe, Virginia USA. Married in 1795, Wythe, Virginia USA, to Mary Phillippi, born in 1775, Wythe County, Virginia USA, died after 1823, Wythe County, Virginia USA.
John Sr., born about 1799, died - Guthrie, Flinn Township, Lawrence County, Indiana USA.
Relationship, Guthrie, Flinn Township, Lawrence County, Indiana USA, to Sally Deckard, born in 1807, Wytheville, Wythe County, VA, baptized on 12 June 1803, Zion Luthern Church, Wythe County, Virgnia USA, died in 1851, Guthrie, Flinn Twp, Lawrence County, Indiana, buried - Johannes Deckard Cemetery, Monroe County, Guthrie, Indiana USA. (All of his siblings took their mothers last name “Deckard”. John is the only one who carried the Arney name forward.)
John Jr., born in 1826, Virginia USA, died before 1900, Monroe. Indiana USA, buried - Kinser Cemetary (no stone). Married on 14 March 1853, Lawrence County, IN, to Mary Eads, born about 1836, Lawrence County, Indiana, died after 1920, Monroe, Indiana USA, buried - Kinser Cemetery (no stone).

Test 162423

Group Coordinator: Fred Coffey (fredcoffey@aol.com)

Jacob Arney (On record in York Co., PA, died abt 1784 in Lincoln Co., NC)
Henry Arney (1755-1830), married Maria Magdalena Fulk
Jacob Arney (1778-1848), married Nancy Truitt
John Arney (1816-1881), married Margaret Brown Grafton
Jacob Sylvester Arney (1839-1927), married Linia Ann Barnes
Mary Ellen Arney (1861-1935), married Joshua Newton Machlan
Linnie Ellen Machlan (1884-1974), married Everett Elmer Walker
Elsie Maureen Walker (1903-1983), Married Leo Newton Coffey
Coordinator 162423

Jacob Arney (On record in York Co., PA, died abt 1784 in Lincoln Co., NC)
Henry Arney (1755-1830), married Maria Magdalena Fulk
Jacob Arney (1778-1848), married Nancy Truitt
John Arney (1816-1881), married Margaret Brown Grafton
Jacob Sylvester Arney (1839-1927), married Linia Ann Barnes
Israel Otto Arney (1869-1943)
Alvin Arney
Participant 162423

Test 172314

Group Coordinator: Stan Arney (admin@arneygenealogy.com)

Jacob Arney, who died in Lincoln County, North Carolina in 1782.
Peter Arney, born in Tryon County, North Carolina, was married and began his family in Wythe County, Virginia, then settled in Tennessee, where he died in Overton County, in 1845.
Matthew Arney, Sr., born in 1818 and died in 1902.
William Ervin Arney, born in 1841 and died in 1881.
Otha Jouett Arney, born in 1875 and died in 1956.
Stanley Goble Arney, born in 1909 and died in 1979.
Jerry Kenneth Arney, born in 1938 and died in 1998.
Participant 162423

+Quote Post
barrycdog
post Jan 28 2013, 03:27 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Surnames:

Sorry that was you. So you are trying to confirm if Frederick Arney (Erny), born in 1705, Switzerland, died in 1771, Colebrookdale Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania USA. Married about 1727, Switzerland, to Anna ??, born in 1705, Switzerland, died in 1732, Pennsylvania USA. (This parent is questionable and is disputed by some.)
is the real Erny/Arney

+Quote Post
barrycdog
post Jan 28 2013, 03:36 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Surnames:

http://www.coffey.ws/FamilyTree/FamilyNote...rnighFamily.htm

This sounds like a difficult conundrum as you and others are searching and using DNA. I was looking fror William Austin Leyden from Centre County Pennsylvania according to his Obit but could not find any details myself.

+Quote Post
barrycdog
post Jan 28 2013, 04:20 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Surnames:

Did Jacob get bounty land in North Carolina? My ancestors Peter and Jacob Colbaugh came from Pennsylvania and got bounty land from their service during the war of 1812. They owned land in the State of Franklin and moved from North Carolina, Kentucky and Tennessee while setting in one spot called the Piney Woods. The missing parts seem to be in 1750-1760 Pennsylvana research. Christian is tied to it somehow but you will probably have to travel there for that info.

+Quote Post
barrycdog
post Jan 28 2013, 04:37 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Surnames:

Here is some service records of a John Arney listed as a Seven Months Man. Another recorded shows a Lieutenant Colonel. If John was the missing link he could have deeded the land in North Carolina to his son.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Arney.jpg ( 87.5K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  arney2.jpg ( 86.18K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  arney3.jpg ( 73.9K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  arney4.jpg ( 100.01K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Arney5.jpg ( 92.8K ) Number of downloads: 0
Attached File  Arney6.jpg ( 96.16K ) Number of downloads: 0

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st December 2021 - 11:39 AM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net