Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Civil War Grandpa
Carissa
post Apr 12 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #1

Huh?

Group: Members
Surnames:
Anderson, Chowning, Crabb, Eckels, Eddings, Fain, Fateley, Hill, Klimper, Lee, Moody, Moses, Nichols, Piercy, Piles, Slaten, Tallent, Weaver....

My wish is to find the grave of my civil war great-great-great- grandpa. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is unmarked. If that's the case I would love to honor him with a military marker. Poor guy was only 26, with a new born baby he had never seen.

I have his military records, and they claim that he died in the St. Louis City Hospital, in St. Louis, MO. I've searched through the National Cemetery lists, and can't find his name anywhere. Does anyone else know where else they might have buried soliders during that time in St. Louis?

This guy is a booger anyway. The only census I can find him on is the one the year before he married. There is nothing that tells who his parents were, or where he might have come from.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 12 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #2

Huh?

Surnames:
Anderson, Chowning, Crabb, Eckels, Eddings, Fain, Fateley, Hill, Klimper, Lee, Moody, Moses, Nichols, Piercy, Piles, Slaten, Tallent, Weaver....

Just realized that I forgot to say who the man was!

Adam M. Crabb
B: Abt. 1837
D: 14 Mar 1863

Co. K, 67th Reg. Indiana

In an old genealogy from the twenties, I saw him listed as Adam Crabb, Jr.

+Quote Post
donnac91
post Apr 12 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Aspengren, Baker, Beauchler, Barnett, Barton, Bottomley, Ferguson, Harris, Hartman, Hornish, Houglan, Johnson, Kempton, Leach, Lindmark, Myers, McGuire, Powers, Scott, Shelton, Suibb,

How awful! I can't imagine not being able to find a relative. So far I've been lucky and able to find mine, or at least I will within the next few weeks.

My mother-in-law is working on getting markers for 4 men that died with one of her relatives. She has a letter that states who the men were and where they were buried. The letter even had who they were buried beside. Last memorial day, we decorated all the graves. At this time, I don't recall who they were.

Donna

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 12 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #4

Huh?

Surnames:

That's so nice! It will will make it much easier for their families to find them too, if they ever go looking.

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Apr 12 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #5

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

unfortunately that happens, they end up buried in a mass grave somewhere near the battlefield they were killed on. People just didnt have the money to get the bodies home back then. I've got one thats buried in a mass grave in Chicago (though we are lucky enough that they listed who was buried there) and one that is buried "somewhere" near Malvern Hill but no clue as to where and its not marked. The we have WP Inman (the man from the movie Cold Mountain)... family passed down where his father buried him, but there is no marker for it.

Would have been real nice if Cousin Charles and taken a little of the millions he got for that stupid book (and movie deal) and had a gravestone erected. I know thats certainly what I would have done

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Apr 12 2007, 10:35 AM
Post #6

Administrator

Surnames:

Where did he live? I found an Adam Crabb in IN in the 1850 and 1860 census (the birth year is 4 years off in 1850, but thats not totally unheard of) and in 1860 he's living with a whole bunch of dif people. Are either of these yours?

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 13 2007, 09:02 AM
Post #7

Huh?

Surnames:

The 1860 is mine. I believe he was living in a boarding house. I know there is another Adam Crabb out there in that area , but he died while young. Which county for the 1850? I'll have a look.

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 13 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #8

Huh?

Surnames:

I'd call him on it. "Hey Cous, why don't mark that grave, since it was what helped you become so famous?" Tell him that maybe people will pay him to take them out there wink.gif

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 13 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #9

Huh?

Surnames:

I just looked at the 1850 Brownstown, Jackson, Indiana Census. Not our Adam:( This is the one who died as a child. My Great Uncle believed from a long time this was the correct family, but was proven wrong. That's one of the reasons I wonder if he was living under an assumed identity. Can't find another Adam Crabb that fits the bill. Maybe I should just pull out my Ouiji board and ask him! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Apr 13 2007, 10:15 AM
Post #10

Administrator

Surnames:

ok, yeah thats the one, I didnt figure it was with the year being that far off, I am used to seeing a year or so difference, but I have on a few occasions seen 4 years.

This is prob one of those that the name was totally mistranslated, you're prob going to have to search the area page by page looking for something familiar

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post Apr 13 2007, 10:29 AM
Post #11

Administrator

Surnames:

do we know who he was married to?

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 13 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #12

Huh?

Surnames:

Elizabeth Hill
04 Jun 1843 - 30 Mar 1874

They were married on 04 Jun 1861 in Montgomery, Jennings, IN. (I believe. )

She was the daughter of Allen Hill "Sr." and Elizabeth "Betsy" McCray. They called him "Sr." because he had a nephew named after him. Wierd, huh? There is loads of info on this family, since they liked to found churches, all across the country.

+Quote Post
1962_geneous
post Apr 14 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #13

Surnames:
KIMBLE, HALL, WELLS, FRANKLIN, MCDOWELL, SHERMAN, WING, ELLIS, ARNOLD, O'KILLEY/KELLEY, ROGERS, BILL, OTIS, WHITMAN, OAK, HATHAWAY, MANCHESTER, ELDRIDGE, GIFFORD, CLARKE, LITTLE, EWELL, JACOB, HICKS, BURT, BAILEY, CHASE, NICKERSON, SPOONER, BOURNE, STURTEVANT, KING, ENSIGN, FREEMAN, GILMAN, WARREN, BATCHELDER

I see that in the Civil War Service Records he is listed as a Chaplain upon enlistment and a Sergeant at discharge (or death). There is no Adam Crabb or A Crabb or M Crabb or Serg. Crabb or any other with the exception of a Marion Crabb listed in the US Veterans Gravesites 1775-2006 (ancestry.com database). The Civil War Pension Index lists Adam M and Elizabeth his widow and A. Hill, Gdn. Probably Elizabeth's father.

You probably have searched for Indiana Inf. Reg. 67, Co. K Regimental Histories, but I did note another account by another Chaplain in the same Regiment and same unit which may be worth locating. the citation is found at http://www.indiana.edu/~imaghist/online_co...vlwr/index.html.

9. Bowers, Stephen C., "The Civil War Diary of Chaplain Stephen C. Bowers"
1862-1863
Dearborn County (Wilmington)
67th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. K
Abstract and Bibliographic Information
article PDF

Full Citation: "The Civil War Diary of Chaplain Stephen C. Bowers," ed. Glenna R. Schroeder, Indiana Magazine of History 79, no. 2 (June 1983): 167-185.

Home: Dearborn County (Wilmington)

Year: 1862

Regiment: 67th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, Co. K

Abstract: A Methodist elder, Bowers (1832-1907) was appointed chaplain on September 1, 1862. For the period covered by the diary (August-September 1862), he passed his time visiting and assisting in hospitals. He reports various injuries: one soldier shot his own fingers off, one hand “mashed” in battle had to be amputated, another soldier shot in the head, and one whose tongue was shot off. He was attacked in the siege of Munfordville, Ky., surrendered, was taken prisoner (September 17th) to Woodsonville, freed (September 21st), caught sick, and was sent home September 29th. Article includes an image of Bowers in later life and a map of the siege.

Sample Text:
"This is the holy Sabbath. To day I preached to an attentive audience of about 600 persons. Many wept There are quite a number of religious men and officers in our regiment, yet much wickedness" (Louisville, Ky., August 24, 1862, p. 171)
"We arose this morning and found ourselves by the Ohio river. The Indiana hills looked charmingly. No doubt many a weatherbeaten soldier longed to stand upon them & feel free from soldier life." (September 26, 1862, p. 182)

LC Subject Headings:
United States. Army. Indiana Infantry Regiment, 67th (1862-1864)

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 14 2007, 07:24 AM
Post #14

Huh?

Surnames:

Thanks for all of that info!

I had always assumed that there was probably a mistake on his Civil War records, since I didn't think you could go from being a Chaplin to a Serg. but I don't know.

+Quote Post
Steph
post Apr 14 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

I don't really know....but maybe after a time he decided to take up arms and fight instead of just being the chaplain. We need a good Civil War expert on here.

Steph

+Quote Post
Steph
post Apr 14 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

OK I came back here to check your dates..so no he would not have been on the 1900 census--perhaps his Civil War papers might have a month and year or if his widow applied for a pension it might have been on there. Or someone may know where he is buried and have gotten it from his stone???

Steph

+Quote Post
1962_geneous
post Apr 14 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #17

Surnames:
KIMBLE, HALL, WELLS, FRANKLIN, MCDOWELL, SHERMAN, WING, ELLIS, ARNOLD, O'KILLEY/KELLEY, ROGERS, BILL, OTIS, WHITMAN, OAK, HATHAWAY, MANCHESTER, ELDRIDGE, GIFFORD, CLARKE, LITTLE, EWELL, JACOB, HICKS, BURT, BAILEY, CHASE, NICKERSON, SPOONER, BOURNE, STURTEVANT, KING, ENSIGN, FREEMAN, GILMAN, WARREN, BATCHELDER

From the following history of the Regiment, I pulled the excerpts about the time when Adam died (March 1863), which would locate where he would have died and been buried if he was buried at the site.

http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unininf5.htm

67th Regiment Infantry

Moved to Young's Point, La., January 17, and duty there until March 8. Expedition to Greenville, Miss., and Cypress Bend, Ark., February 14-29. Moved to Milliken's Bend, La., March 8, and duty there until April 25.

At this time, the 67th Regiment was part of: 1st Brigade, 10th Division, 13th Army Corps, Army of the Tennessee, to August, 1863.

+Quote Post
1962_geneous
post Apr 14 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #18

Surnames:

There are posts by a Fred Crabb researching Adam as well. http://www.gencircles.com/users/fredcrabb/1 indicates that Adam died in City Hospital in St. Louis. Perhaps Adam fell sick or wounded before the Regiment located in Louisiana in 1863.

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 15 2007, 03:09 AM
Post #19

Huh?

Surnames:

Yes, Fred Crabb is my great uncle. He tends to throw in things like the middle name Miller, which is completely unproven. I think the name Miller might have come from the other Adam Crabb that died young. He, Fred, does a huge amount of work and research, though.

The info that he died in St. Louis came from his Civil War Records:

The military record for January and February of Co. K 67th Regiment shows him as absent with the following remark: "Absent sick sent up the river on boat unknown Jan. 24-63." On a special muster roll of the 67th Reg. Comp. K on April 10, 1863 there is a notation "died at St. Louis Mo. City Hospital March 14, 1863." The hospital muster roll of the USA General Hospital St. Louis Mo. for Jan. & Feb. 1863 shows him "Present - Sick in hospital."

The declaration for widow's pension, filed by his wife, shows that he died from Small Pox, contracted while in the service. She states that her son, Morton Crabb, was born Oct. 30, 1862.

Memorandum from Prisoner of War Records shows A. Crabb, Co. K, 67th Reg. Indiana, paroled at Mumsfordsville, KY Sept. 17th, 1862.

Thanks for everyone's help and ideas!

+Quote Post
Carissa
post Apr 15 2007, 03:36 AM
Post #20

Huh?

Surnames:

Hmm.... I just looked up that Marion Crabb. 67th Indiana Infantry, comp. E. Interesting. I think I'm going to have to do more research on him. A brother maybe? That would be a little genealogical miracle. Thanks for the tip, 1962.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2022 - 04:33 PM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net