Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GeneaDiva's Blog, Surnames: James.Tull.Neff.McIntire.Poe.Randolph.Woods.etc
margaretann
post Jan 18 2008, 10:14 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Surnames:
James; Tull; Woods, McIntire; McIntyre; Cox, Day; Johnson; Rogers; Morton; Huggins;Cooper; Ruff; Cooksey; Randolph; Poe, Brown; McMillian; Taylor; Myers; Neff; Pennywitt; Will; Sherman; Scherman...; Longernecker; Harpine; Coffman; Kauffman...; Horn; Stiles; Styles; Riddle; Ruddel; Ruddle; Bowman; Hite; Meredith, Walker, Scott, Spence, Hall, Davis, Edge, Pugh, Quick, Dandridge, Giles- all I can think of off the top of my head- will add more later.

This is my genealogy and history blog. It will focus on my family genealogy and history. Primary Names will be James, Tull, Neff, McIntire, Poe, Day, Randolph, Dill, Pennywitt, Riddle, Ruddle, Plus so much more. Places mentioned or possibly discussed: anywhere in West Tennessee, North Mississippi, North Alabama, Missouri, Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina- well, mostly the south.

Enjoy

Visit My Website
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steph
post Jan 19 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

Which families have you got in GA, SC and NC?

Steph

+Quote Post
margaretann
post Jan 19 2008, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Surnames:
James; Tull; Woods, McIntire; McIntyre; Cox, Day; Johnson; Rogers; Morton; Huggins;Cooper; Ruff; Cooksey; Randolph; Poe, Brown; McMillian; Taylor; Myers; Neff; Pennywitt; Will; Sherman; Scherman...; Longernecker; Harpine; Coffman; Kauffman...; Horn; Stiles; Styles; Riddle; Ruddel; Ruddle; Bowman; Hite; Meredith, Walker, Scott, Spence, Hall, Davis, Edge, Pugh, Quick, Dandridge, Giles- all I can think of off the top of my head- will add more later.

[ Which families have you got in GA, SC and NC? } snip
Steph,

Thanks for asking. Here goes........
This could be a really long post <g>
GEORGIA:
Mary Martha Tull (born 1795 Maryland died May 1884 Van Zandt County, Texas)
Mary's maiden name is unproven by me. Most of the genealogy community lists her as NOBLE. Her son's biography posted in a Texas Newspaper late in his life gives her maiden name as RUFF. I think RUFF holds more weight based on news article below.

Here are her children:
1. POSSIBLE ONLY: Elizabeth born about 1812-1815 SC, NC or TN with SC holding most weight; died between 1886-1900 probably McNairy County, TN. Elizabeth has five children born AL.MS.AL.MS.TN in that order. They all go by surname of TULL. 1850 and 1860 census she is enumerated in close proximity or next door to Mary TULL in Hardeman County, Tennessee.
2. Ervin C. Tull AKA Irvin Charles Tull born 1816 GEORGIA Dies after 1880 prob. Lauderdale County, TN
3. Angeline Tull born about 1818 GEORGIA. dies 1878 Van Zandt County, TX- never marries, no children
4.George Washington Tull born 4 Jan 1827 DEKALB COUNTY, GEORGIA; dies 1917 Van Zandt County, TEXAS
5. Thomas Jefferson Tull born 15 August 1832 Alabama dies 1906 Van Zandt County, TX

Here are the two BiG clues I have to this family prior to 1850
1. Georgia Land Lottery 1827: Mary Tull's Illegit Children: section 5, district 10; lot 159; residence: Dekalb County
2. Newspaper ad 1835

No Headline (Legislative)
Date: 1835-11-26; Paper: Georgia Telegraph
This entire product and/or portions thereof are copyrighted by NewsBank and/or the American Antiquarian Society. 2004.
Agreeable to an order of the county court of Walker, Alabama, when sitting for ordinary purposes will be sold on the 1st Tuesday in December next before the courthouse door in the town of Carrrollton, Carroll County, Georgia
Lot of lan # 159 10th dist. Carroll County for the benefit of the illegimite children of Mary Tull; Sept 13, 1835, Allen Ruff, guardian

3. 1840 census Ervin Tull's family is in Hardeman County, TN. He has enough people in his household to be Mary Tull and her three children (Angelina, Thomas Jefferson and George Washington)

Walker County, Alabama is the place in Alabama in oral family history as the place where the Tull's lived in ALA and this newspaper ad gives a lot of weight and note the land for sale matches perfectly the lottery land of 1827. The residence of family listed on 1827 Land Lottery provides DeKalb County as current residence matches where George Washington Tull said he was born. All circumstantial- but the best I have. Walker County, AL is one of those counties with multiple record losses.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOUTH CAROLINA:
1. LAWSON SCOTT born about 1803 Vriginia murdered Sept 1849 Abbeville District, SC- would love to know the story.
Married to MARTHA (possibly TAYLOR) born about 1813 GEORGIA
They have several children who live in and around Abbeville District, SC and Elbert County, Georgia

2. JOHN GILES and wife, AMANDA (unknown maiden). John was born about 1822 South Carolina and died 1860-1870.
3. ROBERT SPENCE died after 1821 Laurens District, SC; wife: NANCY
4. ROBERT SPENCE (1794 SC- died 1870 Anderson County, SC)
4a. MARY ANN HALL born cir 1807 SC died between 1870-1880
5.ROBERT SPENCE (1822SC- 1883 Anderson County, SC)
5B. MATILDA MOORE (1827 SC- 1907 Anderson County, SC)
6. PHILIP LEE (1803 SC- 1862)
6B.ELIZABETH DUNLAP GREER (1805 Pendleton District, SC)- 1894- Anderson County, SC)
7. William F. LEE 1844 Anderson County, SC- 1925 SC
7A. Jane (alleged to be Ballentine) born 1845 SC- died 1898 Anderson County)
8a. JOHN DILL born 1828 Kent County, Delaware died August 1809 Greenville District, SC
8b. Mary ANN BARRETT born 1728 Delaware died 1815 Greenville District, SC
9a. ABRAHAM RANDOLPH born 1860-1862 NORTH CAROLINA married in Greenville District SC 1792 to LYDIA DILL (daughter of above John and Mary Ann # 8a and 8b). Abraham was Revolutionary War Solider -have his 51 page pension application; He died 1832 in either Lawrence or Walker County, Alabama.
10. JOHN D. RANDOLPH born 1798 Greenville District, SC; died 1870 Jasper, Walker County, ALabama

That's enough for now. I'll do NC later today or tomorrow. I think it is longer than these two together as it covers one end of the state to the other. I can add several more SC folks too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th December 2021 - 07:35 PM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net