> My Poem for posterity
Shanifaye
post May 24 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

lol or so I have a place to find it if I need it quickly. I know most of you got it in the PM today, but future members might be in the mood for some literary torture dance.gif

Is it the Same

A father's pride
A sweetheart's tears
A mother's heartache
A grandparents fears
Do the feelings change no matter the years?

Clothes packed up, food for the road
That last longing look "home"
Carefree days are gone
For now, all thats left
Is the unknown

How is it possible to feel alone
with thousands of comrades by your side
Thoughts of home are haunting whether asleep or awake
No where to run, no where to hide
Putting on a brave face for everyone else's sake

The desolation and sacrifice
It doesn't matter the century
It doesn't matter the cause
War is fickle, we all pay the price

American Revolution
The War of 1812
Civil War or World Wars
Korea, Vietnam, The Middle East
We lose a part of ourselves and them
Even if they come home
All in the name of freedom and peace

Let us always remember, and never forget
With the blood, sweat and tears
And conditions so rugged and tough
We enjoy the freedoms we have today
Because of people who said "Enough"

Written by
Shannon Byers
May 24th 2007
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maria 05
post May 24 2007, 12:14 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Surnames:
Sinnott Lucan Hess Crofton Sharkey Cullen

Thats wonderful Shannon I like it a lot

+Quote Post
Shanifaye
post May 19 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Surnames:
Inman, Bradley, Byers, Derreberry, Owensby and all various spellings thereof

Bumping up for this years Memorial Day smile.gif

+Quote Post
pollylouise
post May 19 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #4

Surnames:
Wheeler, Hazard, Champlin, Fitt, Hoyer, Pariseau, Jones, Oxx, Hanson, Davis, Simmons, Jobe

Thank you for the poem. It is very nicely done.

I was wondering if you watched the PBS series called "WAR" that was on TV just recently. I think it was about 7 or 8 episodes about WWII that was really fantastic. They had all the old newsreel photos and the narrator described the history, they had letters written home from the soldiers, interviews, old photos and stories by family members. I was quite impressed by it. Even though I lived through most of it here at home, I was in my early teens, there was so much I did not know.

We lived right on the ocean (Narragansett Bay) and I can remember my Uncle standing on a stool putting tape on the windows facing the ocean side and my Grandmother making blackout curtains. My job was to go and pull them closed every evening. I can still hear her yelling at my Uncle "Dickie, put out that cigarette..the submarines can see it in the dark."

I had always heard that there were German subs out in the Bay and in our Harbor. Then a few months ago there was an article where they were confirming that a German sub had been sunk not far from where we lived. Good thing they didn't tell us back then......my Grandmother would have had to retire to her room with the vapors. Maybe resort to a little laudnum, like the ladies used to do in "the old days".

Polly

+Quote Post
kansas
post May 21 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #5

Surnames:
Rosenberg,Winger,Steele

QUOTE(kansas @ May 21 2008, 10:43 PM) *
QUOTE(pollylouise @ May 19 2008, 04:22 PM) *
Thank you for the poem. It is very nicely done.

I was wondering if you watched the PBS series called "WAR" that was on TV just recently. I think it was about 7 or 8 episodes about WWII that was really fantastic. They had all the old newsreel photos and the narrator described the history, they had letters written home from the soldiers, interviews, old photos and stories by family members. I was quite impressed by it. Even though I lived through most of it here at home, I was in my early teens, there was so much I did not know.

We lived right on the ocean (Narragansett Bay) and I can remember my Uncle standing on a stool putting tape on the windows facing the ocean side and my Grandmother making blackout curtains. My job was to go and pull them closed every evening. I can still hear her yelling at my Uncle "Dickie, put out that cigarette..the submarines can see it in the dark."

I had always heard that there were German subs out in the Bay and in our Harbor. Then a few months ago there was an article where they were confirming that a German sub had been sunk not far from where we lived. Good thing they didn't tell us back then......my Grandmother would have had to retire to her room with the vapors. Maybe resort to a little laudnum, like the ladies used to do in "the old days".

Polly

Kansas I liked that very much,,Shanifaye. My cousin,1st cousin of my mother's,was killed in the Phillapines as he parachuted down in the Phillapines. It was a hard time for all.He's buried in Arlington.

+Quote Post
Steph
post May 22 2008, 09:53 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Tolbert,Seagraves, Adams, McElroy, Bowden, Thrasher, O'Dillon, Downing, Bradley, Inman, Swanger, Barnett, Morrow

I just finished reading the book War that went along with that PBS series. I was amazed at all I did not know and all they evidently kept from the folks at home. I grew up hearing the stories and after awhile you sort of shut them out. Now I am pulling them all out of my memory to see how they fit with what I read. My daddy was on Saipan, my grandfather was was in Africa, I had an Uncle at Guadalcanal, one on Iwo Jima, lost one in Italy, and one in France during the Battle of the Bulge. One uncle was in the mechanized cavalry (tanks) in Europe. Needless to say family dinners were all War all the time when I was a kid. But even at that, I had NO idea how brutal it was until I read that book and watched the series. Folks at home were protected and the only place they saw the scenes was Movietone news and those were sanitized. There was a photo in the book that was the first one to ever run of dead US soldiers (Marines I think), because the President finally decided that folks needed to know exactly what the "boys" were going thru. It broke my heart. The descriptions were horrifying.
Add to that one uncle in Korea, a husband and brother in law in Viet Nam and a nephew in the Gulf. It just never seems to end.
I don't know if those of us who are not exposed to combat will ever really appreciate what it takes to keep us free. I am always amazed there are always people who will go out there and put it on the line for the rest of us.

Steph

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2021 - 05:24 PM
Skin By: atsaunier Winxperts.net