Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HELP BREAKING DOWN A BRICK WALL, RESEARCHING MY "NEHF" LINE
hemakamaka3
post May 17 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Surnames:
Faucher, Amiot, Azure, Primeau, Bacanel, Bacanell, Plante, Moreau, Michaud, Englaender, English, and more later

Can SKS help me make a "chink" in my "NEHF" brick wall.

I can find information on line for my grandmother, Elsie Betth Nehf, her father, and her paternal grandparents names. There is some good documentation on line for the other side of her family (Elwood).

Here is what I have:

My grandmother: Elsie Betty Nehf b 06 Oct 1885, Nebraska , d 07 May 1950 Santa Cruz, S Crz Co., Calif

Her father:

Leonard J. W. Nehf b 31 Oct 1855 WI, d 02 Jan 1932 Santa Cruz, S Crz Co., Calif
M Eleanor Arvilla Elwood b 31 Many 18864, NY, d 05 Jan 1939 Soquel, S Crz Co., Calif --

wallbash.gif Here's my brick wall: Leonard Nehf's parents -- my GGGrandparents wallbash.gif

Father: John L Nehf
Mother: Mary M. Hummer

That's the extent of the information on them. I have no idea where they were born or where they died. I can "guess" they came from Wisconsin - since that's where Leonard was born. However, I'm sure that would probably have, oh say, 99% of you, rolling on the floor, doubled up in laughter! For all I know, they immigrated from Canada -- or Europe -- anywhere in the world. I can only estimate that they were likely born around 1835 -- which would make them around 20 or so when Leonard was born - but that, too, could also be WAaaaaay off.

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Madeleine J. English
Sacramento, California
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
donnac91
post May 17 2007, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Shoutbox
Surnames:
Aspengren, Baker, Beauchler, Barnett, Barton, Bottomley, Ferguson, Harris, Hartman, Hornish, Houglan, Johnson, Kempton, Leach, Lindmark, Myers, McGuire, Powers, Scott, Shelton, Suibb,

Madeliene,

I think I found John, Maria, and Leonard on the 1860 U.S. Census in Wisconsin. Here is a copy of the census I'm not 100% sure this is your people though. Leonard's name is listed as Martin Leonard.

It says on Ancestry that John was born in Wurttemburg abt 1822.

Let me know if this is them and I'll look up some more when I can.

Donna
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Nehf.jpg ( 542.34K ) Number of downloads: 29

+Quote Post
thecohens
post Oct 7 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Abrahams, Barusch, Bernstein, Blumstein, Cohen, Cooper, Feldberg, Finkelstein, Greenbaum, Grossman, Jacobs, Kaminsky, Kaplansky, Kasle, Levin, Lichtig, Sarver, Tennebaum, Vishnick, Weinzimmer, Wishnek

Did you get a death certificate on Leonard Neff? It should have the names and birthplaces of his parents...it was recent enough that the County Clerk's office should be able to help you.

I usually get information about where to order certificates from http://statearchives.us/public/ and then click on the specific state I want. Have found it a very helpful resource.

+Quote Post
barrycdog
post Jan 5 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Surnames:
Colbaugh, Leyden, Forrister, Puckett, Nall

QUOTE(madeleine @ May 17 2007, 09:01 AM) *
Can SKS help me make a "chink" in my "NEHF" brick wall.

I can find information on line for my grandmother, Elsie Betth Nehf, her father, and her paternal grandparents names. There is some good documentation on line for the other side of her family (Elwood).

Here is what I have:

My grandmother: Elsie Betty Nehf b 06 Oct 1885, Nebraska , d 07 May 1950 Santa Cruz, S Crz Co., Calif

Her father:

Leonard J. W. Nehf b 31 Oct 1855 WI, d 02 Jan 1932 Santa Cruz, S Crz Co., Calif
M Eleanor Arvilla Elwood b 31 Many 18864, NY, d 05 Jan 1939 Soquel, S Crz Co., Calif --

wallbash.gif Here's my brick wall: Leonard Nehf's parents -- my GGGrandparents wallbash.gif

Father: John L Nehf
Mother: Mary M. Hummer

That's the extent of the information on them. I have no idea where they were born or where they died. I can "guess" they came from Wisconsin - since that's where Leonard was born. However, I'm sure that would probably have, oh say, 99% of you, rolling on the floor, doubled up in laughter! For all I know, they immigrated from Canada -- or Europe -- anywhere in the world. I can only estimate that they were likely born around 1835 -- which would make them around 20 or so when Leonard was born - but that, too, could also be WAaaaaay off.

Any information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Madeleine J. English
Sacramento, California

Here is a John and Mary Nehf

NEHF:
P-Adelia/Granddaughter of J. & M. Nehf/1880-1885
P-Almon Nehf/1877-1885
P-Andrew Nehf/1870-1885
P-John M. Nehf/Father/1827-unreadable
Mary Nehf/Mother/

Emmanuel Community United Methodist Church Cemetery
Also known as Emmanuel Evangelical Cemetery